base camp meals

For those cooking the vacuum seal meals, how do you know when it's done?? Lot of variables, size of the meal, frozen/thawed, etc etc so seems like it'd be hard to put just a specific time on it.

For those cooking the vacuum seal meals, how do you know when it's done?? Lot of variables, size of the meal, frozen/thawed, etc etc so seems like it'd be hard to put just a specific time on it.

If it doesn't have ice crystals in it I call it good enough

I'd just go with a MRE, or WCR (names may have changed since the 1st Gulf). Break 'em open, then pick & chose what fits your taste. I would suggest some method to at least warm them to a 'I'm full...sleepy time' at least a few times during the hunt process. I'd stay away from the Omelet w/ Ham though.....:(

pea soup.jpgboiled dinner.jpg pics of my meals, one quart jars of boiled dinner/pea soup/chili/ beef stew i did 48 quarts for 2 guys for 20 days, last year I took the hormel meals (40) for one guy for 3 weeks. they fit in a small gym bag. eat them cold or heat in a small pan of water for a few minutes.

Great ideas here fellas. Depending on my setup I like to cook things that dont require alot of prep or that take alot of time to cook or that require a lot of extra condiments. One of my favs is ribeye steak and prebaked potatoes white or sweet. A boil in bag veg on the side. They all do well in a cooler. I sure like the idea of precooked stuff from home rather than processed stuff from the store or worse yet Freeze dried. Freeze dried has its place but no reason to eat it if you are camping with your truck.

I did a ten day trip years ago we used the frozen food system both foods that needed to be cooked and precooked. We took out the food from the frozen food cooler we where planning on eating two days ahead and put it in a smaller cooler to thaw. That worked good as we only opened the big cooler once a day. Also we were heating and or cooking thawed foods not frozen which helped with time and fuel.

You guys are so gourmet! This past season I just did dehydrated meals same as if I was in the backcountry. Mountain house, Backpackers pantry, etc. If I can get my wife to make cookies before the trip all the better. I like to keep it simple and not deal with cleanup after a long day. If I were out more than a few days, however, I'd probably like something a bit more "real"

Does anyone do something like a breakfast burrito that is fully prepped with a tortillia shell and all?? Just curious what the shell is like after being frozen then warmed up in boiling water. Or is it tough to get the ingredients in the middle warmed up correctly???

I'd just go with a MRE, or WCR (names may have changed since the 1st Gulf). Break 'em open, then pick & chose what fits your taste. I would suggest some method to at least warm them to a 'I'm full...sleepy time' at least a few times during the hunt process. I'd stay away from the Omelet w/ Ham though.....:(

Side bonus if living off MREs for that amount of time, no need to pack any Mountain Money!

I don’t go freezer bags because of the chance of them coming open

Yep. Me and bigfoot did 4 days of wall tent camp after 3 days in the backcountry. We dirtied all of one pan/pot for those 4 days and had fantastic meals.

Try some breakfast burritos, enchiladas, chili, stroganoff or whatever.

I'm currently cooking and stacking up vacuum seal bag meals for a 16 day trip next month with two out of state friends. It's pretty simple actually, and I'm eating way better than I usually do. Basically, we just make a triple portion of dinner, eat, then divide the leftovers into vacuum seal bags, and freeze. I've tried them out and they work great. No need to limit yourself to soups/chili/stews either. So far we've done lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs, beef (venison) stroganoff, shepard's pie, beef pot roast, pork roast and veg, chicken stir fry and rice, brats and sauerkraut... basically anything that you don't mind being mixed all together.

I do try to keep to a moderately healthy diet, and in the past getting enough fruit/veg in has been a problem. My wife found some smoothie packets at Cosco the other day that don't require refrigeration, and are actually pretty good. They look like the packets of apple sauce you can get for kids, but contain 4 servings of "salad." They're made by a company called "Shine Organics."

I usually will end up taking a 4-5 Mtn House meals, and carry one with in my daypack, as I always carry a coffee pot with me. If I'm sitting and glassing I'll usually fire up a JetBoil and make a pot of coffee... it's added weight but a hot cup of coffee goes a long way if it's cold/rainy to keep my spirits up. Doesn't take much to boil water first, dump it into the Mtn. House, then make coffee while it's hydrating.

The other thing I do is "butt-hole sandwiches" from the Gritty Bowmen podcast. Bagel, peanut butter (or cashew butter is awesome too), with precooked bacon, and either honey or maple syrup. Vacuum seal and freeze, then throw one in your bag everyday on your way out. Good carbs/fats/protein/sugar for added energy. I've done extended trips where I didn't have near enough calories packed for the trip and bonked 3 days early because I just didn't have enough calories. I'll take having TOO much food over not enough any day.

Haven't seen this discussed. What is the best way to make decent coffee while at a base camp? I'm looking at truck camping and/or a tent if conditions allow. Besides beer, (covered in another thread) I need my coffee. mtmuley

Haven't seen this discussed. What is the best way to make decent coffee while at a base camp? I'm looking at truck camping and/or a tent if conditions allow. Besides beer, (covered in another thread) I need my coffee. mtmuley

Coffee percolator is the only way to go.. Or we’ve done “cowboy coffee” in a cast iron skillet but that gets a little graining for my taste.

I've done the cowboy coffee. Works, but not what I'm after. I'll have a propane stove, so maybe there is an option for a percolator type out there? Honestly just thought of this, and I leave in about a month. mtmuley

So i'm not a coffee drinker at all, buy my dad is. I had planned on just cooking water and bringing instant coffee. Is it that bad???? Maybe I should have asked him before he assumed that'd be ok lol

So i'm not a coffee drinker at all, buy my dad is. I had planned on just cooking water and bringing instant coffee. Is it that bad???? Maybe I should have asked him before he assumed that'd be ok lol

I'm not aware of any instant coffee that tastes good. As said, I'm late to the game on a very important part of the morning. mtmuley

The Via coffee packs from Starbucks are about as good as it gets on the instant side, but in my mind, still not great.

Homecooked vacpacked meals are the way to go in m opinion. If you are a good cook of course. The premade meals save space as you are not bringing a bunch of spices and packaging. They can be frozen so that saves on ice and cool space. They are quick to prepare at camp and clean up is easy. Personally I would come up with recipes that are easy on the digestive system. I love spicy foods as much as anyone but I dont care to eat them in the woods. I dont care to be walking around with heartburn or my rear end as red as the flag of Japan. But thats only a personal preference. Then again you could save that five alarm chili for the last night in camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back