PEAX Equipment

base camp meals

CForest

Starting to get some planning done for my New Mexico elk hunting trip (1450 miles away). We will likely be camping out in the sticks away from any town. Trying to think of some meal ideas that don't require a bunch of cooler space or really just space in general. Will end up taking a bunch of gear I'm sure, while there is only 2 of us space will likely be limited. Especially when planning on bringing back an elk as well haha. Planning on getting a jetboil, for making dad his coffee in the morning if nothing else and likely bring our little grill. Would like to hear some ideas/suggestions!!

I'm doing a bit of testing in a couple weeks with Randy's method of vacuum sealing lasagna, pasta, etc then freezing it. Should keep quite a while in a good cooler even acting as ice blocks for awhile. Put the vacuum sealed bag in a pot of boiling water and you'll have a fine homemade meal in a few minutes. Frozen soup or chili should work also.

Dry soups work but usually need something added to spice them up...maybe track down some freeze dried burger or frozen ham cubes.

Randy has youtube about vacuum sealing meals. Check it out. I do this method with burrito/tacos breakfast/regular, lasagna, red beans and rice. Freeze them ahead of time. When you get back throw them in. Pot off boiling water and once reheated cut the bag open and eat straight from the bag or dump onto a plate. If you want something with free liquid (rice and gravy,spaghetti soups,chili) add to a portioned size container, that will fit into the vacuum bag, and freeze first, remove from container, then vacseal. Clean up is easy and you get realy good food without cooking. Spend more time talking about the next day. I would do a couple test runs with some leftover meals.

Last edited:
Also depending on how long your trip is. Consider a bit of dryice to keep things frozen for a couple days (for freshness).

I usually make red chili, green chili, sweet and sour meatballs, and some sort of stew ahead of time. I put them in gallon ziplock freezer bags and freeze them flat. They take up hardly any room in a cooler like that and they thaw out pretty quick, so you can pull one out in the morning and it's cookable for dinner. One thing you need to consider with the boil in bag meals is how much cooking fuel you're bringing or if you have a woodstove to use. It takes a good amount of fuel to get the water boiling, and then to get it back to boiling after you put the frozen meal in it, and then a lot to maintain your boil to heat it through. A woodstove is nice because you can kill two birds with one stone. I have done the boil in bag meals before and there is definitely a benefit to not have to do pots and pans for dishes after dinner. Another cool boil in bag meal is omlettes. Scramble your eggs and put whatever fillings you want in it and your cheese and put it in a ziplock bag and boil it until the eggs are cooked through. You can scramble your eggs ahead of time and store them in a tupperware container and just pour in what you need for your breakfast.

I don't have a vacuum sealer but use ziploc freezer bags. My wife makes excellent elk stew we freeze in the bags and do the boiling pot method. Swiss steak works great this way. Get instant mashed potatoes they take up no room, come in a variety of flavors, and go with anything. You can even by the precooked bbq ribs at the store and do the same thing.

Be fore warned! If you do the vacuum seal method double seal the packages. Not much worse than being tired, pulling the bag out, and having the seal fail. Now your tired, hungry, and have a gallon of soup to clean up!

I did it twice last year. It sucks!

the last few years i have canned, chili, beef stew, boiled dinner, pea soup in quart jars.

heated them in a small pot, in the jar ate them outta the jars, no ice needed, they pack nicely in the jar box. no water needed. no dishes.

another one i take is hormel completes they are cooked and need no refrigeration they can be boiled to heat , (i ate them cold), there are over 40 varitities they cost 2 bucks a piece. https://www.amazon.com/Hormel-Compl...1&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=hormel+compleat&psc=1

pace rice meals are great too, just heat in water, https://www.pacefoods.com/Product/Products/Ready-Meals

cost

I take complete meals frozen in vacuum bags as well as just the meat pre-cooked for tacos. If you are taking large ice chests to bring your meat home taking a few frozen pre-cooked meals should be easy.

Last thing I want to do after hunting all day is make a meal so I keep things pretty simple. Vacuum sealed pasta meals and cans of soup mainly. Sometimes we make tamales and vacuum seal them and throw them in some boiling water. Basically something I can throw on a stove and walk away to do something else. Might splurge one night and make a ham steak or a burger.

good stuff thanks guys.
Why vacuum seal vs just a ziplock freezer bag??
I really like the pre-cooked/frozen meat idea, like for tacos. I should add my hunt is 3rd week of October, so not dealing with overly warm temps I would hope. Yes, I will have a couple coolers intended for the meat home. So as long as I eat most of what I take that should work fine... Will have do a few things now to know what I like. Especially those hormell meals. Thought of going just mtn house but they are silly expensive when a guy can handle packing some stuff.

i only take a couple coolers, the canned in jars goods dont need them and neither does the hormel meals or the pace rice packets. if you get an animal and go to town and buy a freezer. find somewhere locally plug it in till you are ready to leave, sell freezer when you get home. they cost 150.00, cheaper than ice. got mine home last year and didnt even unpack the freezer. just sold my old one.

Last edited:
I don't always vacuum seal, I will sometimes just use Ziplock bags. Example, my taco meat I sometimes only thaw half of it if I am hunting by myself. I just break the frozen stuff in half and then reseal the bag. Tacos take no time at all to assemble. I have also added that cooked taco meat to a can of chili beans. I like easy.

I would have to agree with just about everyone's posts here. If you just go the zip lock route, don't skimp. Buy the good ones or you are likely to end up with several messes along the way. The zipper closed ones seem to hold together the best. If you don't have a vacuum sealer, you can usually find them at second hand stores such as the good will for very cheap. Keep in mind that the more solid the food, the longer it will stay frozen. Food exposed to temps above 40°f will begin to accumulate bacteria after 4 hours in most conditions. Being sick in camp sucks so avoid that at all costs!! Dry ice is a great idea! My wife will make a very heart stew as well as a big pot of chili from time to time. She will bag portions, flatten then them vacuum seal them. We will grab what we need for our back country/camping trips and it works wonderfully!! Good luck in New Mexico!!

Last edited:
I generally place multiple meals (by the day)in big ziplocs. Then the food trash goes into it. Usually only a few of us so i bag in 2-4 items like breakfasts and supper. This way the slimey stuff goes back into one of them and i keep it in the cooler as to not have to deal with stinky stuff. If a bag fails i use the pot.

Depends on where I'm hunting, but I always like to get to camp midday, get setup, and cook something ridiculous the first night. We've done prime rib, fried Turkeys, steak and lobster. Gets things off to a great start when hunting with friends.

Pretty much the same as everyone else using the pre made meals in vacuum seal bags. I prefer vac seal with double seal for security. I make up a weeks worth of breakfast burritos before i leave home then drop them in hot water while i have a coffee and get ready. Dinners are same as most, chili, pasta, taco meat for burritos etc. I usually take a couple mountain house just in case i need something quick and easy.

I Usually buy pre-packaged frozen dinner meals from the grocery store for the skillet. I don't eat them normally, but after a day of hiking and multiple days of hiking, like stated above, I do not want to cook a meal. I can pour that in a skillet and stir a couple times and be done. Preseasoned, noodles, veggies, chicken. Cast Iron pan makes for fast cooking and faster clean up too. I'll also precook some chicken and keep it separate for some extra protein to put in as well. I don't want to plan meals, ingredients, multiple pans for cooking at a base camp. The less I do the better, and more time for relaxing rather than cleaning. My crutch would be dehydrated mashed potatoes, easy and delicious - even grab a gravy packet - just add water.

This year I will be preparing homemade meals as stated above, for less processed frozen foods. The best way to think about base camp food in my opinion is microwaved dinners but for the camp stove.

Enjoy this. I think some of you guys eat better in the field than I do at home.

My routine is instant oatmeal for breakfast. Jerky for lunch. If in a camper, a hot meal for supper. If not in the camper, jerky is always good. New Mexico seasons are at the most 5 days. Deer usually a weekend.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back