.25/.284 Load Data?

antelopedundee

Anyone have any loading info using .25 cal 117 or 120 grain bullets and Reloder 22 powder?

I have yet to see any load data for 25-284 in any of the load manuals.
PM me with bullet weight, manufacturer, COAL and i can run them through Quick Load.

And you gotta give us some details on the rifle and how she shoots! Pictures are good too

I have yet to see any load data for 25-284 in any of the load manuals.
PM me with bullet weight, manufacturer, COAL and i can run them through Quick Load.

And you gotta give us some details on the rifle and how she shoots! Pictures are good too

There is some data in the second P O Ackley manual, but it's for powders I don't have or don't care to use. Googling the subject suggests the RL-22 is the preferred powder. I bought a pound and would prefer to use it rather than keep it. 53 grains of IMR4831 works pretty well tho I have to do a bit more with it. In my experience a 120 grain bullet should use the same charge weight regardless of brand. The rifle is a customized Remington 700.

sPKYkTt.jpg

LgISdNQ.jpg

Nice!!

And a 120gr bullet is not a 120 gr bullet.
Meaning if you use a Hornady, and find a load you like, chances are you'd be over pressure if you load up a Sierra.
For some reason Sierra always uses a lower powder charge in all my rifles.

Nice!!

Meaning if you use a Hornady, and find a load you like, chances are you'd be over pressure if you load up a Sierra.

Not sure why that would be.

Here is one source of data. Steve's pages.

https://www.stevespages.com/257_4_117.html

More info.

https://www.sportingshooter.com.au/news/the-25-284-a-short-coupled-25-06

Another situation.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/375101252/xsl/print_topic

I found the same. No pressure signs [bolt lift, ejector indent] that I could see with 55 grains of Reloder22 and a 100 grain Sierra [BT or flat base].

If the thing shoots the Sierra 117 grain flat base well, I'll just stay with it.

I was contemplating the advantage [if any] of boat tail over flat base bullets and one thought is that flat base should seat with more neck contact [bullet pull it's called] and give more uniform results esp. with slower burning powders.

The pic is of some .25 cal Sierra 100 grain bullets seated with the same seating die. You can see that the flat base seat with more bullet pull. Unless you jam the bullet into the lands, it's clear that the flat base bullets will likely allow the powder to burn more completely IMO.

4s4k5eb.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!!

What signs are you seeing that lead you to believe that the Sierras are causing higher pressures?

I would just use 25-06 data. Case capacities between the two are almost identical. I never shot anything over 100 grain in my 25-284 when I owned it but I shot the same powder charge as my 25-06

I would just use 25-06 data. Case capacities between the two are almost identical. I never shot anything over 100 grain in my 25-284 when I owned it but I shot the same powder charge as my 25-06

I'll see if I can find some .25-06 data using Reloder 22.

I'm having bolt lift issues when developing a load for 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and using same powder charge with Sierra 100gr GameKing SPBT. As in the BT no problem, GK lift issues.
Had same in 7mm-08. Blown primers in 7mm Rem Mag.
The Sierra seems "grippier" .??

Also, check your COAL between the flat base and the boat tail. Should be different. That weight has to go somewhere in the flat based. You can't just make a bullet longer and keep the same weight.

Flat base will do you fine out towards 300 yards, after that is where the boat tail is really gonna shine.

Offer still stands to run your numbers through Quick Load.

I don't have any rounds loaded with both types of 100 grain bullets at the moment. Maybe later in the week. For a given weight, the BTs have to be longer but I'd prefer the greater contact with the neck instead of the BT protruding deeper into the case.

I'll probably fill my doe tag with this rifle/cartridge so I'll likely not be shooting very far.

As for your pressure issues, something seems amiss.

I'd contact Sierra.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/ask-sierra/talk-to-a-tech/

Bearing surface, jacket material, and core hardness can all have an impact on pressure. So, yes, same weight be different make/model can make a difference.

For the 25/284, I'd bet one could use 25-06 data to get a good starting point as the capacities are darn close.

I don't have any Hornady .25 cal 117 grain flat base bullets, but I will load some boattails and some Sierras with the same powder charge [53 grains of IMR4831 which may not be a max load] same primer, same case, etc.go to the range and try them. I'll take pics of the primers afterwards.

I'm having bolt lift issues when developing a load for 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and using same powder charge with Sierra 100gr GameKing SPBT. As in the BT no problem, GK lift issues.
Had same in 7mm-08. Blown primers in 7mm Rem Mag.
The Sierra seems "grippier" .??

Also, check your COAL between the flat base and the boat tail. Should be different. That weight has to go somewhere in the flat based. You can't just make a bullet longer and keep the same weight.

Flat base will do you fine out towards 300 yards, after that is where the boat tail is really gonna shine.

Offer still stands to run your numbers through Quick Load.

Are you more likely to see those issues at or near maximum loads or with any loads?

If directed to me, I've never used them. This year is the first year that I've tinkered with the gun in about 20 years.

10/4. If you don't have any luck with the others, you may want to give them a try. My 25-06 loves them and they work pretty good on whitetails.

Good luck with your load development.

My load development is done via ladder test, usua)y 80-90 degrees at 1, 600 ft elevation.
I don't go for max loads, i go for most accurate load. Chrono comes to the range after ladder then seating depth testing.

Load development is usually done with Hornady bullets, and transfers over well to Nosler and same weight Berger bullets.
Have learned that if i want to shoot Sierra's then fresh load development starts.

Not saying by any means that they are a bad bullet, i like them, and usually get some of my best groups with them. I have zero issues using them to hunt with.

My load development is done via ladder test, usua)y 80-90 degrees at 1, 600 ft elevation.
I don't go for max loads, i go for most accurate load. Chrono comes to the range after ladder then seating depth testing.

Load development is usually done with Hornady bullets, and transfers over well to Nosler and same weight Berger bullets.
Have learned that if i want to shoot Sierra's then fresh load development starts.

Not saying by any means that they are a bad bullet, i like them, and usually get some of my best groups with them. I have zero issues using them to hunt with.

Be interesting to hear what Sierra has to say about it. P O Ackley in volume 2 page 31 of the softcover version of Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders talks about firing 8mm bullets thru a .308 bore with no pressure signs. That would likely rule out oversize bullets as a cause.

I did a bit of a test today with .25-06 loads. I was using the Serbian Prvi Partizan brass which is said to be somewhat on the soft side. So I loaded loads with 53.5 grains of IMR 4831 and 57 grains of IMR 7828 with Hornady 117 #2552 grain spitzer boattails and Sierra 117 grain #1640 Pro-Hunter flat base bullets. One of the 117 grain Sierra loads with IMR 7828 looked like there was some extractor mark on the case head, but that only showed once out of 3 cases. Otherwise there was no difficulty with bolt lift.

My friend who makes really good target/benchrest bullets tells me that primer flatness/cratering is not necessarily a good indicator of excess pressure, but it's the best I can offer.

From the pics both look pretty identical. I suspect that the type of bullets with a softer lead core might have something to do with it. Not sure I'd say that it applies to all Sierra bullets in general.

With IMR 7828. Cases with Sierra bullets are on the left.

9PuvSTb.jpg

With IMR 4831

imKjCZ1.jpg

Test rifle. Rem 700 stainless action with Hart barrel.

oRLyBOX.jpg

D6dnhVf.jpg

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back