MT Unit 312 General Info

jthunts

I am wondering about something general for MT unit 312 (not looking for specifics or anyone's "spot").
The maps look like there are a lot of trails and roads in the National Forrest area.

Can you ride an ATV throughout the National Forrest area?
Is there is a lot of ATV traffic and pressure in that unit during Elk Season?

You can send me a pm if you want to share more info than that - thank you.

Go to that National Forest's website and pull up the MVUM. Motor vehicle use map. That will show which trails are open and when. Not that people follow those rules... I nothing about that unit but you can pretty much guarantee ATV traffic in any unit.

Welcome to HT and to MT HD 312, aka "North Bozeman" the fastest growing little city on the globe. The outdoor recreational opportunities from the trailheads on the west slope of the Bridgers are numerous and used a great deal by all forms of motorized and non motorized recreationists. There are elk and deer to be found, but it takes some effort, unless you can secure access through private property. Mule deer bucks are hunted by acquiring a limited entry permit. The Bridger Foothills Trail is anything but "foothills", as it switchbacks high up near the ridge from drainage to drainage. Recently motorcycle use has hammered the trails in some areas to deep ruts with flat six to ten inch bottoms, tough to hike with a pack.

The views from the Bridger Mountains are spectacular and well worth the climb, so I encourage you to scout it out. It's likely that you will spot some mountain goats if you spend some time up high. Also, the Bridger Ridge is the route of the challenging and noted Bridger Ridge Run, so you may see some impressive trail runners on those trails. That area is a beautiful mountain range and well-appreciated, but it's not a high priority hunting area for serious Gallatin Valley hunters ... hence the "Lol" from Greenhorn.

PS: Keep your eyes open for huckleberries this time of year, as there are some good patches up there.

Last edited:
Back