Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Cell Coverage

FlatlandHunter

Anyone know how the cell coverage around Steamboat Springs, CO is? I am solo backpacking in for a ML elk hunt in September and a buddy is riding out with me but staying in the KOA. I am concerned about being able to contact him from the trailhead to bring me coolers if I am fortunate enough to fill my tag. I would rather not hike all the way back into town to pick up signal. My other option is to pick up a Garman Inreach and pay for a months subscription on texting. Thoughts?

I ended up buying the Inreach. It's a steep price, but I'll just have to go on more back country hunts to ensure I justify it!

I got super lucky and just picked up an InReach off of Ebay for $25. It has a broken screen - but I'll be using my phone paired with it, so it doesn't really matter. The peace of mind that my wife will have is more than worth it.

I think I saw one on another forum's classified section for about $150 earlier today. Look around, and you can find used versions for a fairly reasonable price. Also - if you don't need the latest and greatest - the Delorme's work just fine with the Garmin network (That's what I got) - there's really no reason to spend all that cash on a brand new Garmin, IMO.

It can be hit and miss. I hunted close to there and found a spot where if I climbed to the top of a mountain I could get a signal.

We get phone service on most ridges around steamboat lake. If your planning on being closer to steamboat you should have it on most of the high places.

Thanks guys I will look around online or hope to pull a signal off a high ridge. Might just make my buddy check the trailhead for me at certain times too.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back