Favorite Pronghorn round ?

I've used my Browning A bolt in 270 Win. with 140 grain Bergers, another A bolt in 223 WSSM with 64 grain Power Points, and a Weatherby Vanguard in 30/06 with 180 grain Sierra Pro Hunters. They all worked just fine, but of those I don't think you can beat the 270 Winchester with a 140 grain bullet at 3,100 feet per second. However, if I were to buy a rifle specifically for antelope I think it would be in 243 Winchester. But I'll use what I already have, and this year I hope to shoot one antelope with my Remington 700 in 338 Win. Mag. using 200 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Ruger M77 in 7mag has been my go-to for all big game I hunt. Picked up a Savage in 6.5 Cred this year and it will be my new Antelope gun.

22-250 64 grain. Killed many antelope and deer with this combo over the years. I love the meat, butcher everything myself and it doesn't beat them up like a larger caliber can. I have shot an antelope with my 7mm and it was not pretty.

I've killed all mine with my tikka t3 25-06 topped with a vortex viper 4x16, shooting hornady interlocks 117 gr.

For Lope I'm really liking what I used last year to take two antelope. 270 win, 140 accubond behind IMR 4350 at 2850FPS. A little slow for the 270, but man it shoots.

My Son will use his Grandpa's 243 to honor him . I'm still undecided what to hunt with .
What is your set up ?

7.62 x 54R with 203 Gr Brown Bear is going to get a shot this year.

In the past it was .30-06 and 6.5 CM.

Once you go Russian......

In the past it was my Savage LWH in 260Rem using 120 gr ballistic tips. This year I'm hoping it's a 6.5 SAUM and 140 gr AccuBonds, right before or after a deer.

I've shot my 3 antelope with a 7mm Rem mag using 150 grain Core-Lokt ammo. Lung shots are the only way to go, I make sure not to hit the shoulder because it's a shame to waste any delicious antelope meat. I've not found it to be too much gun for antelope.
My son took his 2 antelope using a .270 Win. One using 150 grain Nosler Partitions and one with 130 grain Core-Lokts. Both went down equally fast.

That's why I went to their Interlock for animals up to the size of deer and their Interbond if I get any more cow elk tags.

TG:

Where are you finding Hornady Interbond bullets? I have searched sporting goods stores in four states and have only seen one box (.338 dia. 225 gr) on the shelves. I ask the gun dept. folks and they have no idea when they may get some in and some have no idea what I am talking about.

I have a partial box of .284 dia in 154 gr. (that I got about 10 years ago), but I am looking for .284 dia in 139 gr.

Do you have a good source?

ClearCreek

25-06 with 100 grain ballistic tip, however this year ill be using my 6.5 Creed with 129gr sst, only because I can shoot better with that gun.

TG:

Where are you finding Hornady Interbond bullets? I have searched sporting goods stores in four states and have only seen one box (.338 dia. 225 gr) on the shelves. I ask the gun dept. folks and they have no idea when they may get some in and some have no idea what I am talking about.

I have a partial box of .284 dia in 154 gr. (that I got about 10 years ago), but I am looking for .284 dia in 139 gr.

Do you have a good source?

ClearCreek

I haven't needed any for a long time since I only use them for cow elk in my 30-06s and haven't had any cow tags for some time. If you go on the Midway USA website, they have various calibers in stock right now, but yours shows out of stock and no back order. I knew they had suspended production of the Interbond for quite some time and not too long ago they started making them again, but I think they only make the good selling ones now.

Last edited:
Have you ever shot an animal with the SSTs? IMHO they open too fast and may tear the heck out of your doe. I quit using them after one season because of how fast they open and the external mess they made on a mulie and a cow elk. That's why I went to their Interlock for animals up to the size of deer and their Interbond if I get any more cow elk tags.

I agree on the explosive qualities of the SST's they perform like the EARLY Nosler BT's. They seem to blow up on contact with little penetration. I quit using the ones I had for hunting and shot them up at the range. The ones I used were .30 caliber in a 30.06. I've killed most of my antelope with my old 30.06. But after neck surgery, I switched to a Remington 660 in .243 and Barnes TTSX and Nosler Partition bullets.

Last edited:
I agree on the explosive qualities of the SST's they perform like the EARLY Nosler BT's. They seem to blow up on contact with little penetration. I quit using the ones I had for hunting and shot them up at the range. The ones I used were .30 caliber in a 30.06. I've killed most of my antelope with my old 30.06. But after neck surgery, I switched to a Remington 660 in .243 and Barnes TTSX and Nosler Partition bullets.

That's what I was using too and the first night of our hunt I ran into a big herd of elk about 1/2 hour before dark. I slipped in under 125 yards and picked out a cow that looked like there was no calf with her. When she turned broadside I had my rifle rested on my spotting scope tripod and squeezed one into her vitals. The herd took off and the dust flew and I watched them all go down into a draw and up the other side. I figured she was dead down in the bottom, but couldn't find any sign due to so many animals in the bunch and it got dark. It was warm all night and I was back there at first light and it took until 10 AM to find her. She had run just out of sight over the edge of the draw and was dead under a big juniper. I started dressing her out and found that the dang SST had essentially blown up on her near side rib and had caused enough damage to that lung that she got that far and probably took hours to die there. As I got her boned out I could tell that she had spoiled on the side she was lying on, but thought the up side was okay. By the time my two buddies and I got 2 miles back to the truck with the meat it was late in the afternoon and we were an hour from town, so I called the processor in Worland and the guy said to call him at his house when I got there and he would walk over to the plant and put the meat in the cooler. I got to town abut 6 PM, called him and never got an answer, so I had to leave the meat out a second night with just some cooler ice. The next morning I dropped off the meat and when I got it back several days later he said he had disposed of some of that meat because it had soured. That's the only animal I have ever lost any meat from in 65 years of hunting! While the meat was being processed I had continued hunting on my deer license and shot a decent buck as he came quartering to me on a hillside at about 100 yards. I went down on one knee and put one right on the point of his near shoulder and he went down and never twitched. When I got up to him there was a softball size hole and his internals for about 6 inches were a mess. I believe if I had been using an Interlock or Interbond they wouldn't have put a hole in him like that even where he was hit and the penetration would have been much deeper. I did like you did and just shot the rest of what I had at the range and went to the other two Hornady bullets I mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
I killed mine with an 06 and a 165gr accubond in Nosler's trophy grade factory load. Only reason being is that is what my CDS dial is set for on that rifle. It worked exactly like it was supposed to.

Back