Caribou Gear Tarp

Favorite Pronghorn round ?

Ruger M77 boatpaddle, Leupold 3.5X10 CDS, 140gr Nosler BT, or AB, @ 2760 fps.

Come to think of it....it's also my favorite~
~Whitetail
~Mule Deer
~Black Bear
~Pig
~Elk

..rifle.

Ruger M77 in 25-06 with a heavy barrel and a Sako Forester in .243 with Leupolds on top and I use Hornady Interlock handloads in both.

This fall is my first 'lope trip, but when I fill my 3 pronghorn tags this fall, my favorite will be 110 gn TTSX over 58.2gn H4350 0.050" off the lands shot out of my Win1885 .270 Highwall. (the key to life is optimism :) )

6.5-06 or 6.5-06 Ackley Improved with Hornady 129 grain spitzers. Deadly. It doesn't much matter which kind of rifles delivers it.

Last edited:
Personally I like my 300 win mag.? A little excessive but you put the bullet in the right spot there’s no difference in damage. Plus you get better at shooting a gun you may use elk or moose hunting eventually

I'm probably going to use the Hornady 6.5mm 130 gr SSTs this year. Will use either a .25/.284 with 120 grainers or .25-06 with 117 grainers to fill my doe tag. I'm partial to Remington 700s, since they were the best choice for the money when I got my first true left hand rifle back in the late 70s.

I'm probably going to use the Hornady 6.5mm 130 gr SSTs this year. Will use either a .25/.284 with 120 grainers or .25-06 with 117 grainers to fill my doe tag. I'm partial to Remington 700s, since they were the best choice for the money when I got my first true left hand rifle back in the late 70s.

Have you ever shot an animal with the SSTs? IMHO they open too fast and may tear the heck out of your doe. I quit using them after one season because of how fast they open and the external mess they made on a mulie and a cow elk. That's why I went to their Interlock for animals up to the size of deer and their Interbond if I get any more cow elk tags.

Have you ever shot an animal with the SSTs? IMHO they open too fast and may tear the heck out of your doe. I quit using them after one season because of how fast they open and the external mess they made on a mulie and a cow elk. That's why I went to their Interlock for animals up to the size of deer and their Interbond if I get any more cow elk tags.

This would be my first year using them if I do. The 129 interlocks aren't exactly a slouch in the damage department.

Tikka t3 lite in .270 with a Leupold 3.5 x 10 x 40 shooting cheap factory Remington CorLokt 130gr. Tried all the spendy rounds, but my rifle groups these the best.

M700 in .300WM, shooting Hornady Superformance 165gr GMX. Although high on the "overkill for pronghorn" spectrum, it is equally high on the "use one rifle/ammo combo for everything and have extreme trust/intimate knowledge of what that combo will do" spectrum. With that said, if i can find enough ammo, get enough range time, and set it up properly, I might use a M700 7 RUM I inherited from a cousin who bought it for his "out west" gun and never had a chance to use it as such.

.243 90gr Nosler BT. I have also used a .270. If I were purchasing a gun just for pronghorn it would be a .257 Bob or .25-06. I will probably get one of these two rifles one day just because I can never have to many...right?

I’ve shot them with 223AI, 260 Rem, 30-06 and 338 Win Mag. For me the 260 Rem with 139gr Scenars is the best of that bunch. I like moderate recoil and sleek bullets for the nearly ever present wind. I think most any middling sized case with either a 6mm or 6.5mm throated and twisted for long, high BC bullets make great pronghorn cartridges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back