Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Remi warren australia podcast

Just listened to Remi and Newberg's podcast on the weekend and it definitely got me fired up for some of these destinations. Sounded like he was more pumped on Chamois and Tahr.... but its really hard for me to look past the Red Stag. He said they were significantly smaller on public land. Does anyone have first hand experience with whats a realistic sized Red Stag to find on Public? Would you recommend NZ or Aus for them?
Also he mentioned Hawaii.... I'll need to go looking for some Mouflon there, unfortunately i heard the main island has gone downhill for them. Has anyone hunted the main island for them recently?

Just listened to Remi and Newberg's podcast on the weekend and it definitely got me fired up for some of these destinations. Sounded like he was more pumped on Chamois and Tahr.... but its really hard for me to look past the Red Stag. He said they were significantly smaller on public land. Does anyone have first hand experience with whats a realistic sized Red Stag to find on Public? Would you recommend NZ or Aus for them?
Also he mentioned Hawaii.... I'll need to go looking for some Mouflon there, unfortunately i heard the main island has gone downhill for them. Has anyone hunted the main island for them recently?

Ive hunted tahr a few times, good fun but they're dumb as posts just stand there looking at you, especially if you get above them. I'm heading back after chamois next year.

I also highly recommend hunting sika, one of my favourite species and a very challenging one.

As for reds, completely get the idea of those high fence things out of your mind. A nice wild free range stag will have 10-12 points and be 30-35" long in the main beam. There are exceptions that get to 14, 16 points or a little better and 40" long but I wouldn't expect it. Australia has some thumping reds getting around but most aussie red hunting is private property. There is public land in Victoria and Nsw of Australia but if thats the main species your after nz is a better option for sheer access and numbers

If you have Netflix Remi has a show on there where he and the host Tim hunted a few days. They have some good shots of what you would expect for Red Stag.

Ive hunted tahr a few times, good fun but they're dumb as posts just stand there looking at you, especially if you get above them. I'm heading back after chamois next year.

I also highly recommend hunting sika, one of my favourite species and a very challenging one.

As for reds, completely get the idea of those high fence things out of your mind. A nice wild free range stag will have 10-12 points and be 30-35" long in the main beam. There are exceptions that get to 14, 16 points or a little better and 40" long but I wouldn't expect it. Australia has some thumping reds getting around but most aussie red hunting is private property. There is public land in Victoria and Nsw of Australia but if thats the main species your after nz is a better option for sheer access and numbers

Thanks! good info. Sika look awesome... the bucket list is getting out of control! haha.

I did not know much about hunting in Australia but here in NZ you have very good chance of decent tahr and chamois if you are use to mountain hunting in the western USA. Good numbers, a lot of public land, no tags or seasons. Even smaller stags are more difficult but a realistic goal if you put in the time. The weather and terrain can catch out foreign hunters so hunting with a local is a good idea or atleast spending time to study the NZ specific mountain risks. I’ve taken hunters from WY and CO out hunting and they were both happy with red stags, tahr and chamois. Had some close calls with roaring sika which was cool.

Last edited:
Here are some public land ( DOC ) stags in NZ. This was from a contest a few years ago.

Attachments

• Red Stag comp.jpg
    Red Stag comp.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Red Stag top 10.jpg
    Red Stag top 10.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 79
Here are a couple mounts in a sporting goods store in NZ and these are considered "Crackers" The gigantic stags that you are used to seeing in shows and in magazines are the equivalent of the gigantic whitetails that are farmed into grotesque proportions.

Attachments

• IMG_3165.jpg
    IMG_3165.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3166.jpg
    IMG_3166.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 76
20180706_153120.jpg this is a younger animal but pretty much fully grown in terms of body size for a hog deer. Dont have hunting pics on my phone.

If you have Netflix Remi has a show on there where he and the host Tim hunted a few days. They have some good shots of what you would expect for Red Stag.

I haven't seen that but i have watched a bit of remis stuff, one thing to bear in mind is that he does seem to do a lot of private land hunting, which is a different ball game to public.

Here some examples of public land tahr, sika and fallow - https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?279727-Some-trophies-arrived-today

Glasseye - Some good examples there. The 'cracker' is close to the best you'll get on true public land and a dream head for most kiwis.

JD - I've watched a few of Remis NZ hunts and from what i have seen they are all public land except the fallow hunt. I could recognize the areas he hunted tahr and stag.

The other thing to remember about NZ hunting is thats its pretty cheap. Of course there are flights to NZ, and a chopper flight, but there are no tags to buy. Most things are about the same price or cheaper than the US. Petrol (gas) being the exception which is a lot more than the USA.

Last edited:
Here's some of what we have, moved house recently and the wife doesn't like heads inside so until the man cave is done mist sit here. The buck at the front is the last of the four colour phases of fallow I had to get but I'm getting into euros so don't know if I'll mount him now. Few more reds, sambar and hoggie down stairs.

P.s. don't mind the colour scheme it was one of the 'nicer' rooms when we took over!
20180730_080347.jpg

Here are some public land ( DOC ) stags in NZ. This was from a contest a few years ago.

AMAZING! Those look great. I love how dark and chocolaty the horns get. It would be awesome to see something like that in the wild.

Here's some of what we have, moved house recently and the wife doesn't like heads inside so until the man cave is done mist sit here. The buck at the front is the last of the four colour phases of fallow I had to get but I'm getting into euros so don't know if I'll mount him now. Few more reds, sambar and hoggie down stairs.

P.s. don't mind the colour scheme it was one of the 'nicer' rooms when we took over!
View attachment 85359

Very cool. the euro mount of the fallow deer looks great. Looks like you'll need a bigger trophy room soon!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back