Caribou Gear

Remi warren australia podcast

Aussie_hunter_JD

Gday guys,

Listened to the recent podcast with remi regarding hunting nz and australia. I just wanted to clarify some misconceptions remi has about hunting here which i think are borne from his personal experience. Nothing negative at all towards him, you just don't know what you don't know.

He's correct talking about hunting buffalo where you need to either pay $10k to a guide or have access through a local, for that reason most aussies never get one. The same goes for his upcoming moluccan rusa and scrub bull hunt.

As for public lands there are in fact millions and millions of acres available for hunting to anyone willing. Tasmania has a small amount for hunting fallow. New South Wales has quite a bit, you're required to sit a test similar to your hunter safety and there are other restrictions worth looking into. Game there includes deer, goats and pigs mostly.

Victoria where i live has millions of continuous acres of access and all that is required for a non resident is to apply for a 2 week non resident license for around $30us. That gives you access to sambar, reds, and fallow of which there are no seasons, no bag limits and no weapon specific season. In april you can apply for hog deer tags which will get you one stag and one hind tag. In addition to this vic high country has dingoes, feral cats, rabbits and hares which are fair game. For an extra $30 you can get a quail and duck license in season.

I recommend people consider hunting Australia public land, ive hunted in Australia, NZ and the UK and chasing sambar in the Victorian high country is one of the ultimate hunts you will find anywhere and if you hunt for the challenge you should try it at least once.

Cheers,

Thanks for the info. After I get Finland crossed of my hunting list, NZ and Austrailia will be next.

Thanks for the info. Both Australia and New Zealand are near the top of my bucket list.

What are your thoughts on Adam Greentree's current Legal issues?

Good info JD. I've heard a lot of misinformation about hunting in Australia and its good to get proper firsthand info. I think some kiwis go to Australia and give up trying to hunt because there are rules haha

Hi Randy,

I never realised it was possible to hunt Finland diy, look forward to following your adventure.

I don't think you can go true DIY. I think you need to have a resident "sponsor" you, much like some Canadian provinces. There are many from Finland who follow us and have offered to sponsor me if I decide to go there.

Sorry for the derail but,

That was just a rumor. He wasn't involved. The internet is very good at convicting someone before any facts come out.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...ed-on-hunting-gun-charges-20140213-32nd9.html

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...ice-of-illegal-hunt-claim-20130127-2df0b.html

You're referring to something else entirely that happened years ago with the then NSW equivalent of your state fish and game CEO. It saw the downfall of the Game Council in that state.

I believe Greentree has now infact been charged,

But I'd really prefer people to not derail this topic, I'm not interested in publically talking about social media personalities. I'm passionate about the promotion of legitimate hunting in Australia and encouraging others to visit here.

We have great diy hunting opportunities which are little known outside Australia. For an Australian, hog deer are the equivalent of your sheep in that they're fiercely coveted as a trophy and table fare animal. we have the largest free ranging and self sustaining huntable population in the world. To boot we have plenty of public land to hunt them on.

We also have one of what I believe many consider to be one of the most challenging hunts in the world which is the pursuit of mature sambar stags through the millions of acres of public land in Victoria. Population estinates for our state are 750,000 to 1,000,000 sambar, no that's not a typo! Sambar are the third largest deer in the world behind moose and elk but rather than the slim deer figure we associate with these guys are built like cattle and can weigh up to 700lb (that's a guess I'm not good with imperial weights).

In addition to this we have access to legal opportunities for fallow and red deer for anyone willing to do the hard yards.

Unfortunately, i broke my phone recently so I dont have any pics to put up but we do have quite good trophy quality and more importantly some amazing country.

That's what this topic is about and with respect I'd prefer to stick to that please.

Last edited:
I apologize to derail. I was honestly curious on your thoughts, thanks for the PM.

Seems AG isn't the person he portrays himself to be.

I like how the OP put his thread back on track. Gentle reminder of what he was talking about and he started the conversation.

Thanks.

My impression was that coming in to Australia with a rifle was a no-go. Is this accurate? If so, is there a work-around or do most aliens hunt with bows?

The hardest part for me to go overseas to hunt is you cant bring the meat back. I may still go sometime but it sucks you can only eat so much of it.

My impression was that coming in to Australia with a rifle was a no-go. Is this accurate? If so, is there a work-around or do most aliens hunt with bows?

I think there are lots of misconceptions about firearms in Australia, I've heard everything including we had all of our guns taken away and can't own them!

The link below will help, you certainly can bring your own gun.

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=49498

Edit: I read the document, it doesn't give an option for those hunting public land as justification. I would speak to them about it, you may be able to simply state you're hunting public or at least have the discussion about options. I know a group of kiwis did a public hunt here last year so it is possible. If you can buddy up with an aussie hunter you'll do even better.

Last edited:
The hardest part for me to go overseas to hunt is you cant bring the meat back. I may still go sometime but it sucks you can only eat so much of it.

That's definietly something that needs consideration, best bet would be finding a local sho wants it.

The greatest shame I believe in Australia is that we have no meat salvage laws and with the promotion of pure trophy hunters coming through some forms of social media the last decade or so (as opposed to people such as us who utilise everything) it's nothing to find headless corpses in the bush when you're hunting.

This hunt is near the top of the list for me.

Nothing to do but get after it then! Happy to provide advice if you decide to. Hunting ranges from thick wooded mountain ranges to snow covered alpine country and temps varying from minus 10 to 40 degrees celcius depending on location and time of year. Victoria's Game Management Authority has maps of where you can hunt on their website.

I wish I could do the same where you live, it's a real bummer i reckon.

Last edited:
Back