Caribou Gear

NV Coyotes/Bobcats

FreeAir84

Just moved to the Vegas area from SoDak and was wondering about hunting Yotes or Cats in the area (within 2ish hours). I don't want anybody to give up their spots, just point me in the right direction with regard to topography or brush I should be looking for. Would good hunting country look like what the landscape around the Clark County shooting complex (not that I would try to hunt there)? Thanks much for any tips you can give this SouthWest noob.

I've traveled through the desert from Bishop, CA to Vegas quite a bit to fly. I've always wanted to hunt coyotes and cats on my way, but I always had to rush. Anyways, look for water and look for jackrabbits. You will find coyotes and bobcats near both. The mouths of canyons, the base of foothills, and dry washes are good places to hunt as well. Sign is pretty easy to find out in the desert. Tracks can last a long time though. Go out after high winds. Most tracks you see after high winds will be fresh. Follow the dry washes. You will find tracks and bobcat toilets eventually. A friend of mine will be working near vegas on a project that is looking at the depredation of desert tortoises by coyotes. The hypothesis is that once the jackrabbit numbers decline from drought or the natural cycle then coyotes hit desert tortoises pretty hard. Long story short, hunt areas where you see the shin high tortoise fencing. The biologists will appreciate it. Good luck!

I've traveled through the desert from Bishop, CA to Vegas quite a bit to fly. I've always wanted to hunt coyotes and cats on my way, but I always had to rush. Anyways, look for water and look for jackrabbits. You will find coyotes and bobcats near both. The mouths of canyons, the base of foothills, and dry washes are good places to hunt as well. Sign is pretty easy to find out in the desert. Tracks can last a long time though. Go out after high winds. Most tracks you see after high winds will be fresh. Follow the dry washes. You will find tracks and bobcat toilets eventually. A friend of mine will be working near vegas on a project that is looking at the depredation of desert tortoises by coyotes. The hypothesis is that once the jackrabbit numbers decline from drought or the natural cycle then coyotes hit desert tortoises pretty hard. Long story short, hunt areas where you see the shin high tortoise fencing. The biologists will appreciate it. Good luck!
Thank you for the info!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back