Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

MOA vs mils.

track1

Looking at getting into some long range target shooting, possibly some competitions. Looking for some input on a reticle. Looking at the Sig Tango4 4-16. Moa vs mils and standard crosshairs vs a tree

Without getting inti the differnce, i recommend MOA and ignire the tree.

I vote mils. Any math/numbers based on 10 or moving the decimal point is much easier and simpler. The metric system vs imperial wins every time. Prove me wrong.

I vote mils. Any math/numbers based on 10 or moving the decimal point is much easier and simpler. The metric system vs imperial wins every time. Prove me wrong.

They’re all just numbers in the end. If you have trouble counting then it’s time to take kindergarten over again.

The bullet drop is the same no matter if it’s in MOA or Mils. Look at your drop chart and make a shot. Not that hard. I never have figured out why some guys get so worked up over the two.

Fair Chase,
At 1000 yards it's all based on 10.
So i'll stick with MOA for it's smaller unit of measurement.

So i'll stick with MOA for it's smaller unit of measurement.

I’ve always heard this argument and understand where it comes from but I really think it’s a moot point. Can you really tell the difference between 1/10 mil and 1/4 moa at 1k yards? Give me a break.

I prefer mils. Smaller numbers are easier for my little pea brain and most scopes can get you to 1k with one rev on a mil turret.

You’re fine with whatever you choose though. They’re both just a unit of measure and that’s it. Make sure your reticle matches your turret and you’re good to go. If you have a shooting partner that is already geared up, get whatever he has to keep things simple.

They’re all just numbers in the end. If you have trouble counting then it’s time to take kindergarten over again.

The bullet drop is the same no matter if it’s in MOA or Mils. Look at your drop chart and make a shot. Not that hard. I never have figured out why some guys get so worked up over the two.

This guy gets it.

As already said, doesn't really matter - but in my view what does matter is sticking to one or the other across your scopes so you don't have to switch back and forth in your head. If it's your first scope, flip a coin, if its your second, third, fourth, etc. get whatever you already have. My first scope was MOA because it was a value priced hunting scope. As I have added scopes along the way I have stuck with MOA including high end 1000 yd scope. I am sure I would be shooting the same if I had started with Mil, but sticking with MOA made it one less detail to process.

I’ll avoid the which is better minute vs mils debate, as I think it’s shooter preference. So I’ll give you some personal experience. Several years ago I shot in the Army long range competition, the scope I had was a leuplold mk4 with an H-58, which was a mil/mil scope. We shot at 800,900 and 1000 yards. We shot from statioanry burms and we knew the range so I dialed for elevation and held whatever I needed to for wind. I also shot in some friendly competitions with the dudes I worked with, that had unknown and random distance targets, which is where I think a “tree” type reticle shines. You don’t have to dial anything and if you’re holding for elevation and wind you have an actual sub tensions in the scope to use. I’ve tried to hold everything with a TMR reticle and it’s a real pain in the ass if you have to try and keep everything lined up in a big blank space in the scope. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Zach

Thank you for the personal attack for sharing my opinion on a public forum. Feel better? Plenty I could say about you and your past posts but I don't have the need to put down others to feel better about myself.

Thank you for the personal attack for sharing my opinion on a public forum. Feel better? Plenty I could say about you and your past posts but I don't have the need to put down others to feel better about myself.

Sorry I triggered your fragile self with pointing out the obvious.

But when you put “prove me wrong” in your posts it kinda invites someone to do so.

Both have the pros and cons. Pick whichever you feel you will be more comfortable with and learn it inside and out. Once you begin practicing you will learn for yourself what it's all about. Have fun!!

I like things simple. I only shoot to dial in a gun then I primarily use it to hunt other than double-checking my scope with two or three shots as arrive for a hunt.

I would pick one scope and then standardize on that setup. The more rounds you shoot with the same configuration then the higher your confidence should become with the rifle.

I only shoot a single cartridge configuration in each rifle I use to hunt. Never change once I find a setup that shoots tight groups. Every shot taken is with that same set-up. My .338 Win Mag with 250 bullets is what I shoot except for pronghorn when I use a .25-06. Same scope. Same bi-pod. Same rifle sling. I used to shoot a .308 but retired it when the crown of the barrel was dinged on a tumble in the mountains. The .308 was lighter and easier on the ears and shoulder than the .338 Win Mag but now just using two rifles simplified things more for me.

The handgun my wife and I shoot and carry are same caliber and use same cartridge.

I only use my shotgun for turkey hunting and have shot the same cartridge for over a decade. Out to 50 yards have never missed with that setup and I do not shoot past 50 yards with it.

Simplify wherever you can.

track1, I would recommend you get the MIL scope with the tree reticle, if you're very serious about shooting competitions. By the way, I'd even more highly recommend getting involved in competitions, at least in my opinion the comps are very fun and a good way to keep your shooting skills honed. If you get involved in competitions the vast majority of the other shooters will be MIL scope users. As a new shooter, they'll be helpful and call out adjustments on misses, those calls will most likely be in MILs. When I went to my first couple of matches I was shooting a MOA scope and soon switched to a first-focal-plane MIL scope. As ZBB pointed out, holding a shot or adjusting for a follow-up shot with a tree type reticle is easier. When I've shot stages that don't allow dialing your scope, I've been very grateful for the tree reticle. So, from a total stranger's opinion, get a MIL scope with a tree.

All the above is based on if you're getting involved in PRS type matches, if you were talking about some other type of competitions then throw out my advice and I'll give you a full refund on what you paid for my advice.:)

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back