WY unit 73

WildWill

My hunting partner and I drew a couple of doe tags for unit 73. We also drew Colorado muzzleloader elk tags the season runs from the September 8th-16th. We should be leaving CO and pulling into WY on the 17th our first day of hunting shouldn't be till the 18th. For those who have experience in the unit is the first week crowded? I've heard the roads can get bad quick with a little rain any areas to avoid? I have Onx and with the amount of public land and us just having doe tags I think will be tagged out sooner rather than later. Will be bringing our shotguns and fishing poles I would love to shoot my first sage grouse. Any tips on fishing or bird hunting in the area would be appreciated.

The hardest part about hunting antelope in 73 is making the hunt last more than an hour. Use your judgement on the mud roads - they’re not worse than mud roads in other places, and there are plenty of maintained roads to use. Crowds are hit or miss, but generally no one leaves their truck to hunt antelope, so getting away isn’t that hard. I shot a doe on opening day last year after a 30 minute hike and didn’t see another hunter.

I had a tag in a unit near 73 a few years ago and a local told me where he shot some sage grouse. I was on my way home when I ran into him and so I never went to check out that spot. I reaaaaaaaaaally wanted to shoot a grouse as well and never even saw one. When I have a chance, I'll try and dig out my maps and see where it was that he told me. If you don't get a PM from me within a week, shoot me a reminder.

If the season opens on the 17th, which is a Monday, I can't imagine there would be a ton of hunters.

I have 2 doe tags for 73. It will be my 4th time there. You will not have a problem filling your tags. There are a few areas you can easily hunt if it rains. I’d stay away from the northern edge if it rains

I had a tag in a unit near 73 a few years ago and a local told me where he shot some sage grouse. I was on my way home when I ran into him and so I never went to check out that spot. I reaaaaaaaaaally wanted to shoot a grouse as well and never even saw one. When I have a chance, I'll try and dig out my maps and see where it was that he told me. If you don't get a PM from me within a week, shoot me a reminder.

If the season opens on the 17th, which is a Monday, I can't imagine there would be a ton of hunters.

The season opens September 15th on a Saturday but we will be elk hunting in Colorado until the 17th our first day of hunting in Wyoming will be the 18th. I'm hoping that missing the first weekend will help us avoid any crowd drawn by the opening weekend. I'll keep a eye on my inbox incase you find those maps I appreciate the help.

Thanks everyone for the insight and advice keep it coming.

Your doe tags will take a short morning to fill, the roads aren't horrible but if it rains they get a little sloppy. You will have a fun hunt, good luck in Colorado.

The season opens September 15th on a Saturday but we will be elk hunting in Colorado until the 17th our first day of hunting in Wyoming will be the 18th. I'm hoping that missing the first weekend will help us avoid any crowd drawn by the opening weekend. I'll keep a eye on my inbox incase you find those maps I appreciate the help.

Thanks everyone for the insight and advice keep it coming.

Gotcha. By that Tuesday, it should have really cleared out. When I hunted there it was the same type of setup. Season opened Saturday and I got there Sunday night. I was actually very surprised how few hunters were out early in the week. I only saw a couple hunters in 3 days.

Good luck in CO! I'll be there muzzy elk hunting as well.

I have hunted 73 several times. If it's raining I would not suggest driving any of the roads other than the one blacktop road going part way through the unit. It's like driving on slime - you will be sideways more than straight forward. There are also people who live and work in the area who probably aren't real happy when you rut up their road. Nice thing is if you can just wait a while after the rains stop the roads harden up pretty quick. I found it's also pretty tough walking while it's raining. You'll walk 20 feet and your boots feel like they weigh about 50 pounds. Most of the locals hunt mainly on weekends so you shouldn't have any trouble with crowds. Unless it's raining you should have a pretty easy hunt. Good Luck!

Ill be coming over to 73 on Sept. 16 and hunting 5 days. Gonna bring a wall tent. Any suggestions of areas to look in to? Thanks in advance.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back