Meat Care

WIbiggame

I have scoured this forum and Google and havent found what I am looking for so if this has been discussed I apologies in advance.

My questions is lets say I am lucky enough to harvest an elk during archery season and it is in an area that has no trees. I understand the importance of getting the meat tied up so air can circulate and cool it, jus twondering what you guys do without the aid of trees?

I have kept game bags under the only juniper while I relayed meat to truck. Keep in shade with a breeze & air circulation & work quick.

Depending on where you hunt. During early elk season it can get down right hot, so I take some quick pictures and then get to work boning it out (gutless method). I put the meat in game bags and lay it in a shaded spot. Once done with that I pack the meat to the closest stream or lake. I keep contractor grade plastic bags with my kill kit and once at the stream or lake I put the meat in the contractor bags and then in the water. It cools it down quickly, once the sun goes down I take it out of the plastic bags and lay it out on rocks or find a tree to hang it in.
Now to clear up any but what if(s):
No I don't take it out of the game bags and then into the plastic sack. No I don't submerge the whole bag, that would get the meat wet. Yes there is a chance for animals to get to the meat if it is in the game bags setting out on rocks, but I stay close by and usually build a small fire (conditions permitting). No I am not worried about the plastic bag leaking. I am worried about meat spoilage due to not getting it cooled down so the risk is worth it.

I’ve heard of people putting their game-bagged meat in contractor trash bags and sinking them in a cold creek.

I’d be really surprised if you got an elk in archery season with no trees around though.

Thanks everyone for the reply's. Lots of great info. I have never encountered an elk not by trees but just want to be prepared should it happen. Don't want an ounce of meat to spoil.

Small Herd.jpg
Never say never! Apologize for the crappy photo, I only had my phone with me during this antelope hunt. This herd of about 15 cows and a 5x5 bull spent a couple of hours sunning themselves on the side of the hill in the heat of an early October afternoon in central WY.

This is a common problem for caribou hunters on the tundra. Maybe try searching for meat care while caribou hunting.

a year or two ago Bambistew wrote up a terrific guide on field care of meat. If you can find that, it should be helpful.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back