Caribou Gear

Drop deer hunting in 2018 to fill 2 elk tags?

dcreiss

Yesterday I drew a tribal elk license that I did not anticipate getting; I already drew a limited 1st season CO bull tag and have a bison tag this fall. Tomorrow SD's deer applications are due and I am questioning if I should forego applying for deer at all this year and opt to focus on filling my tribal prairie elk tag, bison, and CO tag with the limited time I can get away from work. Guidance?

Depends on the dates, if you can apply for a deer tag that doesn't conflict sometime later in the season I would say go for it, you might only get out one weekend but its nice to have the option.

Go big or go home. It could be your record year for a lifetime of all those hunts in one year.

Can't say no to the tag if you don't draw it. If you can do points only, then I'd probably pass. If its random, I say go for it.

Not sure how SD works but I would be tempted to apply for the best deer hunt even if 1 in 200 type odds since if do draw will have a great tag and if do not then have plenty of days out hunting anyway. Looks like $50 or $175 roll of the dice if draw and can't hunt the tag at all.

I would second being happy with your current blessings and to give your best efforts to those. Those will take some work. Either way best of luck and look forward to the stories.

With limited time I think you are better off focusing your efforts on some great hunts. After drawing my bison and elk tags this year, I knew there wouldn't be enough time for other hunts, so I'm going to enjoy those. Good luck!

Years ago, the superintendent of my school district (a former successful basketball coach), was asked by some over-zealous small-town fans why he didn’t take up the mantle and coach again when the high school had a basketball coaching vacancy. His response: “I refuse to let a $3,000 job jeopardize an $80,000 job.”

It’s sound reasoning. Prioritize the priorities, man!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back