SD Antelope

mmeehan97

So applications opened today for SD firearm antelope seasons. I've just been building preference points, mainly because I know absolutely nothing about hunting antelope.

I put in, and am pretty much a lock to draw unit 15A.

Is anyone familiar with this unit? Any tips would be appreciated.

I guess more broadly, what's the best way to go about scouting your antelope unit? I've been doing some road research and Google Earth stuff...but honestly most antelope country looks the same on imagery. I do plan to, at the very least, make a couple weekend trips up there prior to the season to maybe find some good camping locations and do some glassing for goats.

Looks like the unit has a ton of BLM & walk-in area to sift through. Just wanting to do everything I can over the next couple of months to set myself up for success.

How are you a lock to draw?

I would spend some time driving the unit before the season. That should get you a good idea of what areas to key in on that are holding antelope.

I have only tagged along with other hunters in SD for antelope but I will say they haven't been as easy for us as they have been in WY. It seems they are over every hill in WY, not so in SD. We also have noticed that they seem to be way spookier in SD. I can't say why this is, maybe it's just the ranches where we have hunted but if they see a truck they are on the move! Maybe too many coyote hunters shooting from trucks that spook them? Hard to say but we have earned them in SD. This may sound dumb but it's kind of been like they say about elk,.. they are where you find them,.. They seem to move so much for us that each day is a new adventure on where you will find some so you just have to keep driving and hiking and glassing until you find some in a stalk-able location. Good luck in the draw. Bring your leather gloves, knee pads, butt pad, glass, and coolers filled with frozen milk jugs so that you can cool that meat just as fast as you can get it back to the truck. Good eats if you get the hide off and cool that meat ASAP.

Taken archery goats and put friends on some good ones with a rifle in that unit. Use Wilma from the SD gfp site. Find the public land, high points, use your glass and spot them. It’s really that easy.

Not familiar with units but there are a bunch in the Buffalo Gap grasslands south of the black hills off 385. And they have the most beautiful gravel roads I have ever seen in that area so it's easy to get around. 30 miles South and it's gumbo when rain falls. As long as they have had moisture the hunting should be pretty good.

I put in for that same unit and have 2 preference points. I also assumed almost a lock. I hunt that area and the surrounding units and they are all very similar. It is just like rcfireninja said, high points and glass. Watch when it rains, the gumbo in sections up there is pretty amazing.

Back