BHA Podcast and Blast - Bill Hanlon & The Tatshenshini Remains

Nameless Range

Over the last few days I listened to this episode. I think it is a podcast episode that could appeal to many different interests: Extreme Sheep Hunting, Archeology, Science, History, Philosophy. I really enjoyed it.

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/bha_podcast_blast_episode_26

One thing that really got me thinking was Hal and Bill talking about how extended periods of time in wild places can make accessible a connection to alternate realities - realities that are just as real as those we live today in our modern civilized life, but we no longer see them, though it is not because they are gone. I know "alternate realities" is a woo-woo term, but it doesn't have to be. In the instance of Kwäday Dän Ts'ìnchi, an indigenous man, hundreds of years old, that 3 sheep hunters found in a melting glacier - his life lense allowed him to see the world through a different spectrum, and he knew things to be real that we can now only reach out for, and maybe feel for a while until it slips away into fog of modern life. Being hunters, we can connect to some personal alternate realities, and I think that is one of the great virtues of hunting.

When the podcast was over I was fired up to check out of life and take off into wild places, but I'm about finished with my coffee. Time to drop the kids off at daycare, and then I'll head to work.

Last edited:
Haven't listened to the podcast, but have listened to Bill's talk 2 times at the BHA rendezvous. Bill is also a class act all the way around and I've had the good fortune of getting to visit with him a number of times.

This is one of the neatest hunting stories I've ever heard and Bill presents it very well.

Have to give this one a listen.

I've not listened to it, yet, but I agree with Buzz's assessment of Bill. If you ever get a chance to talk to Bill, listen to this story. He knows the country extremely well and for him to have found these remains will on a sheep hunt makes for such a fitting context. One of the highlights of the BHA Rendezvous is my annual visit with Bill.

I've also watched his presentation at a prior BHA rendezvous and the podcast doesn't hold a candle to the slideshow version. But still a good listen

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back