Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

pants with knee pads

huntin' lunatic

I got 2nd and 3rd degree chemical burns on my knees and legs on Easter weekend. Required skin grafts, rehab and I'm still recovering. The drs say it will take one to two years to heal. I drew a Big Game Combo tag to hunt Montana in November. A little concerned of slipping and skinning up my knees. Would the Kuiu Alpine pants be the way to go? Been researching for a cheaper alternative, even with insurance those ambulance rides are expensive. Read all the pros and cons of velcro straps, slipping and all that. I have tried several different styles of pads to wear at work but can't hardly wear them for an hour. Been trying to slowly get back to my exercise routine but the pain is restricting. I've had this hunt planned for two years and I will be going come hell or high water. Want to hear from someone who has dealt with this.

I am a big fan of the alpine pants and have been using them exclusively during the earlier seasons for three years now. That being said I think the knee pads are pretty thin and not very soft. I think I would, if I had your condition, prefer a more padded knee pad. Perhaps Sitka mountain pants?

I have the Sitka mountain pants and I like the kneepads in them, plus you can remove them. I've never seen the KUIU pants to compare with. I don't know how much padding you need but I'd say the Sitka pad is about right for padding/comfort without being too bulky. Where you'll be hunting in November you may want the Sitka timberline pant which also has kneepads but should be a little warmer. I would head to a nearby Cabela's or store that carries them and try them on and see what you think.

I use a pair of volleyball knee pads I bought a sporting goods store for $10. Haven't had a problem yet. They're a lot cheaper than pants with built-in knee pads.

Man I'd look at some volleyball need pads or something, I love my sitka timberlines and you don't realize how nice the kneepads are till you use them but in your case I'd go with a thicker more durable kneepad and maybe even wrap your knee?

Sitka's also my recc.
If you can find some gel type knee pads they might be more comfortable.
I went through a nasty burn on my foot from a boiling pot, the skin will be tender for a while. Take care of it and it will heal just fine, the red scar will be visible long after the skin has healed but will be tougher than you might think.
Hoping for the best for you.

Here is one thing to consider. There is often extra stitching that extends to the inside of the pants, sometimes with a rough seam. This is done for the knee pad pocket or if they are integral to attach the pad. I have had that stitching leave lacerations over my anterior thigh from both Sitka and KUIU. This happens due to rubbing of the edges or non-flexing points with heavy hiking. Some of this may have to do with a persons anatomy, thigh thickness, where bend points hit and where the pants flex or don't flex. I haven't dealt with having skin grafts my self but being a medical person understand the need to protect them. I have had lacerations on normal skin using pants with integral pads so having more fragile skin or dealing with extra inside stitching at the could hit the margin of skin grafts could be an issue. Maybe get pants that you can try on or return and see where the panels and stitching hit during repeated flexing of the pant and whether this will impinge or irritate the skin graft edges. Wish you best of luck. I am sure you will find something that works for you.

Sitka Timberlines, they have the removable kneepads plus they have suspenders which will help keep the pants "up" and the knee pads where they should be.

I would say buy a pair of Arcteryx Knee pads off amazon for 65 bucks, you can take them on and off when ever and you can use the same pants you have been using for the past few years. I have used them for years all over the world and they are a bit cheaper then Sitka Timerlines.

RLTW

Are you seeing a physical therapist?
Perhaps you can discussand try possible ways of wrapping/bandaging that you can use during the hunt?
P.s.
Sitka timberline knee pads are great for crawling during a stalk or when trying to get permission to hunt private land. There just good gear.

Sitka Tlines....removable pads and heavy denier on knee area. Get em. My spouse wears them and loves em.... best to you!

I know you said you aren't crazy about separate knee pads, but i second the recommendation of arcteryx knee pads. really like those.

I'll be going to see my dr at burn center next friday. I have a list of questions for him and I will add this one. Right now in the middle of summer in Texas the knee pads are unbearable. They might work in the fall in Montana. thanks for everybodys comments.

A while back I was on a construction site project inside a 48" drain pipe. Quickly figured out the gel filled knee pads with hard plastic outside were the most comfortable. If you are wanting max protection for your healing tissue that is the way to go bu they are a bit bulky.

If your looking for a cheaper alternative to Sitka or Kuiu. I'd look into tactical pants like L.E/military guys wear. Such as "5.11" These come with a internal/removable soft needpad. Other tactical pant brands have more of a sewn in outer need pad. You can also choose the material make up, depending if you want them to be really tough or light weight.

If your looking for a cheaper alternative to Sitka or Kuiu. I'd look into tactical pants like L.E/military guys wear. Such as "5.11" These come with a internal/removable soft needpad. Other tactical pant brands have more of a sewn in outer need pad. You can also choose the material make up, depending if you want them to be really tough or light weight.

Be aware of what the pants you buy are made of. Many of those are all or part cotton. Not your friend on the mountain. There may be some that are 100% synthetic.

The best knee pad pants out there are Crye Precision G3 Combat Pant. They have kneepads that are very durable and the legs are quite adjustable. You can move the knee pads up or down, tight at the knee or calf, etc. The only problem is price, but they seem right in there with the Sitka or Kuiu options. Otherwise, I would second the Sitka Mountain pant with the knee pads. They also fit well.

Back