Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Synthetic vs merino wool base layers

midwesthunter

Has anyone listened to the built to hunt pod cast with Jason Hairston of KUIU about these types of base layers and there use? I found it pretty interesting, I had it backwards according to what Jason says, those who have heard it what are your thoughts?

Out of the following who would you buy merino base layers from and why? I am in the market for some.

Black orvis
Kryptek
KUIU
Sitka

Ive not listened to the podcast so can't comment there.

I have some experience with merino base layers from three of the companies you list (no Sitka merino). The kyptek merino bottoms i had lasted one hunt so I'd not buy again. Black Ovis i think is rebranded Core4Element (I could be wrong), if so, its not bad for the price. I have one Kuiu top and it is holding up well. Personally, I prefer First Lite and Smartwool for merino. The fit and construction of First lite is very good and Ive had a smartwool top for several years and is barely showing signs of wear.

I have only used black ovis of the ones you listed. Not impressed. It’s slightly itchy. Smart wool is awesome. Icebreaker is not so great. They cut there sleeves too short. The wool is not itchy however. A buddy of mine loves Patagonia. Would like to try kuiu.

Smart wool. I have base layers from Smartwool in all weights that have lasted over 10yrs and they're still going strong

Last edited:
Same as deer_shooter for me. I have First Lite merino base layers as well as a few pairs of SmartWool socks, which has been an impressive setup thus far. I haven't listened to the podcast but can tell you that the aerowool material from First Lite is much better than any synthetics that I've ever used.

Last edited:
I have very limited experience with merino wool base layers but I can refer you to First Lite. I've been wearing a set of their aerowool top and bottoms this year when I've been out hiking and on one backpacking trip and they seem very durable. That they are an Idaho-based company and I like Ryan Callahan (or what I hear of him on Rinella's podcast) makes buying them easy for me.

I was skeptical on the odor-reducing properties of merino wool but I have a funny story that backs up the claim. After wearing a First Lite top two days in a row and sweating it out both days, I put it in a rubbermaid tub along with a lot of other sweaty stinky gear. After it sat in there for a couple of days I pulled it out again to wear it for another hike. I smelled it and to me, it didn't seem that bad at all. But my wife was around and so I gave it to her and said "here, take a whiff of this and tell me what you think". To my amazement she held the whole ball of shirt up to her face and took a big ol' whiff and said "it smells worn, but not stinky". It was at this point that I told her I'd worn it two days in a row and sweated it out both days.

Guess I should have told her about its history prior to her sniff-testing it. Me and the dog have finally settled upon favorite sides of the dog house.

Firstlite - Early season, I feel like where they really shine is there light weight wool shirts, hoodies, and boxers
Kuiu- Mid Season back pack hunting Late Sept-Oct. it's heavier so a bit warmer than firstlite
Smartwool- socks

Synthetics for Late season day hunts, as they tend to be warmer but I can't wear them multiple days in a row.

Smartwool for me now mostly. 10 yrs & still good to go. Fit & finish excellent.
Did find some Cabellas Merino in Bargain barn last year,wish I had bought 2 sets.Light & warm,no wear in one season.

Firstlite is the most comfortable
KUIU is more durable but to me has a bit of an itch
I don't use synthetic anymore because it gets to smelling on the first day.

Of Icebreaker, Firstlite, Woolpower / Ulfrotte, and Minus33, the Minus33 kicks butt. Very soft handed, no itch, slight pilling after many washings, but not bad. Very high quality stuff, and very well priced as this stuff goes. I use solid colors mostly but they offer camo.

Their boxers are awesome as well.

Bridgedale XC skiing socks or Darn Tough boot socks I can recommend.

I think First Lite is the most comfortable, however it doesn’t hold up real well. The new stuff that is a blend probably holds up better though.

Kuiu is not as comfortable, but I do like that it is a blend.

I use Sitka merino layers for every hunt, from hot to cold. It does all the thing merino is known for and does it very well. The durability is far greater than what I expected from past experiences with other merino. It is very comfortable to wear. Not sure how many hundred days I have on some of them and they are still in great condition.

I've only used First Lite and Smartwool merino base layers. Smartwool was more durable for me, but both were comfortable feeling. However, I'm moving away from merino base layers cause they don't serve a purpose for me.

I did buy a pair of synthetic zip off base layers from Kuiu that I hope to try out this season.

I've had no problems with my First Lite merino base layers. They are great, as well as my Minus33. My luck with the Icebreaker and C4E base layers was not so good.

Has anyone listened to the built to hunt pod cast with Jason Hairston of KUIU about these types of base layers and there use? I found it pretty interesting, I had it backwards according to what Jason says, those who have heard it what are your thoughts?

Out of the following who would you buy merino base layers from and why? I am in the market for some.

Black orvis
Kryptek
KUIU
Sitka

I heard the podcast, and I had it backwards too. I have a high country mule deer hunt in Nevada in August and will wear my merino instead of my synthetic to try it out

I have Icebreaker and Sitka, I find that both work for me.

But what hasn't been mentioned, care of merino well garments, don't let your other half get her hands on it, whilst I love my wife that was tested when she washed my merino (bless her) using fabric conditioner, it was ruined, no matter how it was washed after that the odour control was lost.
It was my fault, I didn't tell her.
As for piling, was the merino with a pair of jeans and that reduces piling.

Another thing you should watch, moths!
One of my tops ended up looking like a tea leaf strainer!

Cheers

Richard

I personally own Kuiu, Icebreaker, BlackOvis(C4E) and smartwool. Each has their pluses and minuses. NO matter what though, merino is my go to base layer year round.

Everything I've read and heard says First Lite is very good. I've thought about trying it out, but haven't found the need yet. Most of my other merino items are holding up well. The ones I use the most are the Kuiu and the Core4. Black ovis ones make for great layering. I have a couple lightweight smartwool shirts that I just got and I like them ok. I have several pieces of ice breaker and they seem the least durable and they stretch the most.

Love my Kuiu Merino 145 base layer top and bottom, will probably add one more top to the mix. I have synthetics for my mid layer.

Back