Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New Old Guy From California

captmoto

I found this group looking for info on hunting California X9a deer zone this year. It has been a good 15 years since I deer hunted but am going to give probably my last shot at it here in California. I stayed in shooting and reloading though because I have a few milsurps and got into the AR game late. I'm in Southern California, and as bad as it sounds I will probably stay due to some orthopedic and family issues.
Thanks for having me.
Steve

Welcome Steve, I can't speak for the hunting in the lower half of Cali but the hunting in the northern part of the State is cheap and if you care to gather points from 2 to 5 years, there's some good units you'll draw worth the trip. Sure a good zone up here is not the same as a good draw in Wyo. or the like but it's much closer, the resident Lic & tags are cheap, and if a guy goes into one of these hunts like a guy might go all in on a outa state hunt, he'd probably do pretty good. My last Cali draw muley hunt i passed up over a dozen bucks looking for the 30"+ i had scouted. That unit took 5 points to draw, this years muley tag could be had with 2 points, three for sure. Just sayin.

Howdy. I recently joined this forum as well. I was born and raised in Southern California, and later moved to Crowley Lake, near X9a (I'm in Idaho now). I didn't hunt at the time, but I did have a friend who pulled some high-country bucks out of there. Are you planning to hunt down in the valleys, or up high?

Welcome Steve, I can't speak for the hunting in the lower half of Cali but the hunting in the northern part of the State is cheap and if you care to gather points from 2 to 5 years, there's some good units you'll draw worth the trip. Sure a good zone up here is not the same as a good draw in Wyo. or the like but it's much closer, the resident Lic & tags are cheap, and if a guy goes into one of these hunts like a guy might go all in on a outa state hunt, he'd probably do pretty good. My last Cali draw muley hunt i passed up over a dozen bucks looking for the 30"+ i had scouted. That unit took 5 points to draw, this years muley tag could be had with 2 points, three for sure. Just sayin.

I drew X9a with 5 points. If I knew what those x zones were to draw with 2 points I might keep trying. I have family that hunts Northern AZ. so I'm going to give it a try next year.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back