Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Buying Property

Hank, the reality of the situation is that they already made the changes last year that they are proposing currently for public comment. The only thing that the currrent proposals are going to change is to make the changes that have already been implemented applicable to all properties that are currently enrolled. A year ago they started their new scoring system with newly enrolled properties with zero heads up. Just denial letters with no reason for why properties were denied, except a form letter. Why didn’t that have to go through the established process of public comment, commission approval, etc? The most corrupt system and good old boys club I have ever seen.

Prairie Hunter... No doubt^ I was just suggesting that the 128k you spend ($100 acre * 1280) not including + taxes + tag cost+ insurance etc. you could go on an amazing elk hunt ever year, and see a bunch of different and spectacular country. I'm assuming like everything it's hit or miss if the elk are on your 320 during the season (when you are there) and you are stuck with just hunting that spot.

If you want to own your own slice of heaven to take the kids, retire to, and occasionally hunt it's a great plan... I'm just saying if you have money to burn and you just want a big elk, buying property is a dumb strategy to achieve the goal.

Landowner elk tags are good unit wide. As long as you let your neighbors hunt when they draw you would be able to hunt quite a bit of private along with the public. Essentially it would be a trophy elk hunt every 3 years hunting bulls in the 350-400 range. Not as sexy as Arizona but the elk are as big as anywhere else in the country due to the unique circumstances.

And any friends or family could come hunt with easy to get tags for 2 deer (WT or Mule), archery antelope, 7 turkeys, etc...

This could go beyond simply hunting elk, deer, and antelope. Investment strategy, family recreation spot, retirement, taxes, etc likely all play a role.

As you mentioned if you are simply wanting to hunt elk it's cheaper to buy tags but I would not say it's "dumb" . I try to avoid claiming people are dumb for anything including considering land ownership for hunting or any other purpose as everyone has their reasons. Owning a little place that provided an opportunity to spend a few trips per year with family and some trophy hunting potential along with low land costs, income opportunities for grazing/farming, low taxes, etc probably makes sense for a lot of successful people.

If a guy could live without the landowner elk tags you could get the cost down on a piece of property quite a bit. From an investment standpoint these would be safe as they are not going to go down in value and right now grain and cattle prices are not boosting AG land values like they sometime can.

These would be examples of whats available in Nebraska.
http://www.westernviewrealestate.com/properties/farmranch/sold-1456-acres-nebraska-land-for-sale
http://www.westernviewrealestate.com/properties/farmranch/sold-15433-acres-nebraska-land-for-sale
http://www.westernviewrealestate.com/properties/farmranch/mccafferty-farm-and-ranch-land-for-sale
http://www.westernviewrealestate.co...ge-ranchland-nebraska-ranch-and-land-for-sale

Wyoming would be able to offer income tax benefits, and resident tags but I don't know about the landowner tag situation. South Dakota might be another place to consider as the black hills are amazing country but deer tags would be hard to get for NR friends and family to hunt. I'm sure with enough looking there is a state that offers yearly elk hunting opportunities for landowners as well.

Buying enough land to hunt a resident herd or a migrating herd would take a lot of money and would have a lot of overhead and no guarantee would go up in value if rural. Probably will not carry mineral rights. If you are not moving then realistically how many days can you spend out West in a season? How many trips per year to hunt that property?

If are moving out West then would suggest move to Montana or Wyoming. I would lean towards Montana for the longer seasons. You will get tired of hunting during a year in Montana before you run out of tags or seasons.

I would suggest taking the money you would spend on land and to maintain the land then invest in broad stock market index EFT. Owning land is a lot of work. Updates to the land and extras to create comfort do not always end up an investment that you get back when sell but will eat a lot of cash flow.

Use the dividends of the EFT to spend on a hunt or two each year out West. Could draw a general deer tag in WY every even year and a MT combo tag every odd year, for example.

Landowner elk tags are good unit wide. As long as you let your neighbors hunt when they draw you would be able to hunt quite a bit of private along with the public. Essentially it would be a trophy elk hunt every 3 years hunting bulls in the 350-400 range. Not as sexy as Arizona but the elk are as big as anywhere else in the country due to the unique circumstances.

And any friends or family could come hunt with easy to get tags for 2 deer (WT or Mule), archery antelope, 7 turkeys, etc...

This could go beyond simply hunting elk, deer, and antelope. Investment strategy, family recreation spot, retirement, taxes, etc likely all play a role.

As you mentioned if you are simply wanting to hunt elk it's cheaper to buy tags but I would not say it's "dumb" . I try to avoid claiming people are dumb for anything including considering land ownership for hunting or any other purpose as everyone has their reasons. Owning a little place that provided an opportunity to spend a few trips per year with family and some trophy hunting potential along with low land costs, income opportunities for grazing/farming, low taxes, etc probably makes sense for a lot of successful people.

If a guy could live without the landowner elk tags you could get the cost down on a piece of property quite a bit. From an investment standpoint these would be safe as they are not going to go down in value and right now grain and cattle prices are not boosting AG land values like they sometime can.

These would be examples of whats available in Nebraska.
http://www.westernviewrealestate.com/properties/farmranch/sold-1456-acres-nebraska-land-for-sale
http://www.westernviewrealestate.com/properties/farmranch/sold-15433-acres-nebraska-land-for-sale
http://www.westernviewrealestate.com/properties/farmranch/mccafferty-farm-and-ranch-land-for-sale
http://www.westernviewrealestate.co...ge-ranchland-nebraska-ranch-and-land-for-sale

Wyoming would be able to offer income tax benefits, and resident tags but I don't know about the landowner tag situation. South Dakota might be another place to consider as the black hills are amazing country but deer tags would be hard to get for NR friends and family to hunt. I'm sure with enough looking there is a state that offers yearly elk hunting opportunities for landowners as well.

"If you want to own your own slice of heaven to take the kids, retire to, and occasionally hunt it's a great plan... I'm just saying if you have money to burn and you just want a big elk, buying property is a dumb strategy to achieve the goal."

"Just", implying a singular goal. I agree with you completely on the various reasons you might want to buy a property. Buying a property in Nebraska is just not the most cost effective way to guarantee a big elk, I'm not saying it wont do it, just that it's the most effective way of achieving that particular goal. Per your first example 1,456 acres for $859,000 for 1 chance at an elk ever three years... you could invest that and easily buy a governor's tag every year for a decade or more. I mean the spider bull only cost 170k lol.

Also didn't realize that "a dumb strategy" was making a claim against someones intelligence. Chill out, you get so upset every-time someone disagrees with you on a thread I'm sorry I offended you, you make some great points on the forum.

"If you want to own your own slice of heaven to take the kids, retire to, and occasionally hunt it's a great plan... I'm just saying if you have money to burn and you just want a big elk, buying property is a dumb strategy to achieve the goal."

"Just", implying a singular goal. I agree with you completely on the various reasons you might want to buy a property. Buying a property in Nebraska is just not the most cost effective way to guarantee a big elk, I'm not saying it wont do it, just that it's the most effective way of achieving that particular goal. Per your first example 1,456 acres for $859,000 for 1 chance at an elk ever three years... you could invest that and easily buy a governor's tag every year for a decade or more. I mean the spider bull only cost 170k lol.

Also didn't realize that "a dumb strategy" was making a claim against someones intelligence. Chill out, you get so upset every-time someone disagrees with you on a thread I'm sorry I offended you, you make some great points on the forum.

Wow, I can assure you that I am not upset/offended about your dumb strategy comment, nor do I need to chill out. I have no idea what you are even talking about so it seems if anyone is having an issue here it would be you.". The OP would likely be the person you are referring to as having a "dumb strategy" and I am not considering purchasing land for any reason and certainly not to elk hunt. All I can say is I am not mad/offended/upset about your comment in any way and you are entitled to your opinion on the matter so there is really no need to continue that part of the discussion. I am far from qualified to give financial or investment advice anyway, lol.

As to your example that may make more sens for some people to do a governors tag each year to find big elk but there are people who consider property an investment, taxes, etc. Say a guy buys that place for 850K. Makes a little money selling grazing/farming rights each year and pays his $7,500 in taxes. Hunts deer, antelope, turkeys, etc every year with friends and family on a few trips each year and every few years gets to hunt trophy elk. Keep it for 10-20 years and sell when grain/cattle/land prices are high. When it's all said and done those elk hunts would not be that expensive and the memories with friends and family might be worth it to some. Having a place to come hunt with no pressure is a big deal to some people.

There is nothing like opening my gate, closing it behind me and saying I worked my ass of all these years and this is mine. I can hike, fish, hunt, ride quads, build a cabin but it's mine. I like just sitting up top of my hills and just looking at the thousands of other acres and so thankful I bought it. I am only on my property about 4 times a year but i get girl giggles every time. I enjoy allowing others to come enjoy it when they want to get away. I lease my all year with cows so it keeps the long grass down for fire season and helps reduce taxes. If you can afford land and it makes you happy, buy it. You'll never lose money cause God aint making anymore, and it's getting scarce.

I still hunt lots of public land, and will always fight for it.

There is nothing like opening my gate, closing it behind me and saying I worked my ass of all these years and this is mine. I can hike, fish, hunt, ride quads, build a cabin but it's mine. I like just sitting up top of my hills and just looking at the thousands of other acres and so thankful I bought it. I am only on my property about 4 times a year but i get girl giggles every time. I enjoy allowing others to come enjoy it when they want to get away. I lease my all year with cows so it keeps the long grass down for fire season and helps reduce taxes. If you can afford land and it makes you happy, buy it. You'll never lose money cause God aint making anymore, and it's getting scarce.

I agree with Belshawelk. I love the hard work that owning land provides. To me, I get the same good feeling of accomplishment on my last trip off the mountain hauling elk quarters as I do fixing the fence or cutting trees all day. That is generally when I want to do the work, not always the days that I HAVE to do the work. I have lived in Nevada all my life and I too am looking for that larger tract of land to accomplish what you are looking for but as stated before there are much cheaper ways to do it unless you are doing it for more than just hunting tags. I have done considerable research on the subject. Don't bother with Nevada as its far more expensive then other states. PM sent

I like your style Belshawelk.

This above is a good reason to purchase land. My Theory is: "Live where you want to live, work where you gotta work so you can hunt where you wanna hunt." Some folks those three places are all one place and I envy them.

The debt service or opportunity cost of buying land for a place to hunt is too steep for me to take that on unless I was able to get year round enjoyment or another value out of it.

Belshawelk,
I do nearly the exactly same thing (minus running cows) as your posts, concerning both private and hunting public land, in the same region as you, hell might be a neighbor.
I have been developing habitat for 10 years and some of my favorite times of the year are when I get to spend time on the property whether working on it or hunting. Mule deer are still rough but I do well on elk/bear. The is never a day I wish I 'invested' those funds in a rental or the stock market no matter what the return would have been. Cheers!

Buy a piece of land that land locks BLM or land locks blm with your neighbors. That with OTC tags your Golden

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back