Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Ruck training. The Science

Didn't watch it all, but caught the graph on how strength is more important than aerobic conditioning with heavier loads. My LBM is around 210, Im kinda big, and I always considered it a detriment to long distance hiking. I'll have to watch the rest of it when I get off of work.

Didn't watch it all, but caught the graph on how strength is more important than aerobic conditioning with heavier loads. My LBM is around 210, Im kinda big, and I always considered it a detriment to long distance hiking. I'll have to watch the rest of it when I get off of work.
If your lean body mass is 210 you must be a monster of a man?

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing
You're welcome

very cool. thanks for posting this. Always loved Ruck training vs running. was known as "El Burro" on my Infantry Scout team in the army. love some ruck marches!

That's great information...but the one variable that's not talked about much is mental toughness.

IME, the mind gives up way before the body...

but the one variable that's not talked about much is mental toughness.
Due to the target audience (combat MOS military personnel) mental toughness is a given.
In the Hunt Backcountry podcast interview he warns of people feeling they need to do too much work to achieve the desired results.
I figure if you're entertaining the idea of ruck training you're pretty tough. It's just a matter of being smart about programming.

Would be interested to see how you feel this applies to hunters versus combat personnel.

Specifically, and please veterans correct me if I'm wrong, but military service age is 18-62 and you can't enlist after 42... so 18-42 is effectively the age the military would have you rucking and past 42 you are probably not?

According to the USFWS survey, 60% of hunters are 45-+ with 14% being over 65... meanwhile the combat age group makes up 39% of hunters, of that only 80% are hunting big game so 31.2%.

My point I'm assuming this training is for the expressed purpose of being able to handle the rigors of the military... not hunting, you can always choose to do twice as many lighter loads on an animal. So Chris, as a 30 yr old who wants to hunt backpack into his 70s (god willing) how/would you modify this kind of training for a lifelong athlete. (Seems to me the military doesn't really care what your knees/back looks like at 62...)

I skied moguls competitively into college, I still ski a lot but I ski smarter and train differently because I'm trying to go the distance not win a contest, I assume there are parallels that would apply to this.

Training is training. The application and specifics are individual to each person.
In this video and on the Hunt Backcountry podcast interview Dr. Prevost lays out a basic template for the average hunter.
He also discusses some advice for older guys. He's 50.
He also discusses what can be damaging to the knees. It has a lot more to do with footwear choices and muscular/strength imbalances than carrying a big pack.

I'm 51. I train 5-6 days a week, all year long. I'm a former professional fighter (Muay Thai, kickboxing, MMA) and former sponsored big mountain snowboarder. My body has taken a tremendous amount of punishment.
In another post I laid out how I periodize my training throughout the year.
https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...h-elk-hunting-long-term&p=2725710#post2725710

Last Saturday I carried an 80# pack + water for over 7mi and with a vertical gain/loss of over 1700 vert ft.

This morning I carried a 105# pack + water for over 3mi and over 700 vert ft of gain/loss

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back