California Elk Advice

GunNut1981

Hello all,

This is my first post on here and I am hoping to gain some knowledge from anyone I can. I was lucky enough to get a bull elk tag for Siskiyou County in Northern CA.
I have talked to the biologist in the area and he mentioned some spots that I could check out, I'm headed up there next Tuesday, July 24th to start scouting in the areas I have marked on the map.

I know there is the Klamath Fire going on, I am going to be scouting East of there.

If anyone has any advice for me I will take anything I can get. I dont know the area so I'm trying to keep my boots on the ground as much as I can in the hopes of seeing something. This is my first elk hunt and I can't afford to hire a guide so I'm doing it DIY.

Thank you all!

That is a challenging hunt as the elk move around quite a bit and utilize private. Kind of a well guarded secret but there is a chance at a big bull there. I have hunted deer/antelope up that way and found signifcant elk sign around deer hill in Modoc County also saw elk up in the northeast corner of x2 near the Oregon border. It looked like a good number of elk were spending time around deer hill, might try putting a camera up near water there and see what is around.

I used to hunt in the Tennet area east of hwy 97, I'd be locating land owners to ask permission to hunt there property. There's a small spring fed lake Orr lake might be a good camp spot also.

It's the Siskiyou zone. From what I can see the Marble Mountains are far west of the unit I will be hunting. This zone covers east of Hwy 5, north of Hwy 89 (including Mt. Shasta), and West of the Pilgrim-Harris Trail and Harris Spring Rd.

That is a challenging hunt as the elk move around quite a bit and utilize private. Kind of a well guarded secret but there is a chance at a big bull there. I have hunted deer/antelope up that way and found signifcant elk sign around deer hill in Modoc County also saw elk up in the northeast corner of x2 near the Oregon border. It looked like a good number of elk were spending time around deer hill, might try putting a camera up near water there and see what is around.

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately the zone I am hunting consists of; all of C1 and some of X1 deer zones. Hopefully they come my way to say hi!

I used to hunt in the Tennet area east of hwy 97, I'd be locating land owners to ask permission to hunt there property. There's a small spring fed lake Orr lake might be a good camp spot also.

I'm planning on scouting this area, most definitely. Thanks for the advice on a camp spot! I currently have permission from Fruit Growers Supply Co, waiting on a call back from the Michigan California Timber Co. I've also reached out to the Siskiyou chapter pres. and VP from RMEF for the area...waiting on their call back as well, as far as getting some land ownder info that they know of.

I'm way outta the loop on what the elk boundaries are up there. How far west does your unit go? If it includes the happy camp area we used to see at least one elk sighting up there a season.

Thank you all so much for the help! Here is a screenshot from OnX Maps showing the hunt zone.

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 9.44.42 AM.jpg

Thank you all for the advice and heads up for heading into the Siskiyou elk unit. I just thought I’d update y’all now that I am back from my first scouting trip. The first thing I noticed on the way up was the smoke from the Klamathon fire, this made glassing next to impossible as the smoke was extremely thick most of the daylight hours minus a few in early to late afternoon. Figured my best option was to ask everyone I came across and put boots on the ground. I found some scat and could have sworn I hard some cows calling and barking. I saw some beautiful country and logged a lot of miles. I also think I’m going to apply for an X-1 deer tag next year, I saw some really nice bucks…if any of y’all have some more elk info I’d be more than happy to trade!!

I’m hoping to head up once more to scout depending on how my archery deer season goes in D3-5. If that doesn’t work out I’m heading up 2 days before the season starts to hopefully hear some bugling. Thanks again to everyone for the advice!

There used to be a lot of alfalfa being grown I'd say north east of Tennat with huge pivots it might be a good place to scout around. I could see them from Garner butte.

Thanks, guys!

I will definitely check out Grass Lake and Garner Bute. While I was out there on my first scouting trip I met a local woman in Bray on my way out to Long Prarie. She said I was headed in the wrong direction and I should check out the meadows closer to the train tracks between Tennant Rd and Old State hwy. I'll have way more time during the season so I will add these two to my list!

Bigjav - I know how many people continually put in for tags, part of the reason why I've never tried but I thought this year I would give it a shot...I had 0 points going into this draw. It pains me to let people know that as I can feel the frustration. But thats just more of a reason I'm doing everything in my power to make this a sucessful hunt!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back