Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Getting lots of ticks/mites during the fall in Idaho. Am I the only one?

AlphaSuerte

Over the past three seasons, I have been 'attacked' by hordes of either hatching, larval ticks, or some type of mite that looks just like a tiny tick. I am not picking them up while walking through brush; however, if I sit (or even stand) for long enough in one place, I will eventually find tens (or hundreds) of these tiny pests actively climbing up my boots and pants. They like to concentrate where my pants are damp and in contact with my skin, and are obviously looking for a mammalian meal. I know no one can positively identify these little guys without a picture, but I'm curious about your opinions as to whether these are some kind of hatching, larval ticks (possibly 'winter ticks'), or chiggers/mites. I have experience with adult ticks during the spring, but not so much with similar parasites during the fall/winter (until recently). Is anyone else in Idaho/Wyoming/Montana experiencing this?

What part of Idaho are you in? I usually hunt the Southwest and the Central of the state. No real issues, spring time I'll see a tick from time to time but nothing like the issues you are having. I just started using Permethrin this year though. You would be the perfect test subject to see how it works and update all of us!

Check this out to keep them off of you

http://www.tickencounter.org/prevention/permethrin

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-Permethrin-Clothing-Repellent/dp/B07BSNTDLC?th=1

What part of Idaho are you in? I usually hunt the Southwest and the Central of the state. No real issues, spring time I'll see a tick from time to time but nothing like the issues you are having. I just started using Permethrin this year though. You would be the perfect test subject to see how it works and update all of us!

Check this out to keep them off of you

http://www.tickencounter.org/prevention/permethrin

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-Permethrin-Clothing-Repellent/dp/B07BSNTDLC?th=1

Thanks for the resources. I'm here in East Idaho, where its relatively cold and dry in the fall. After the first season this happened, I actually started using that exact product -I probably should have included this in the post. So, for the last two seasons, whatever these little demons are, they still have enough gusto to climb my treated boots and lower pants. Maybe they never make it above my knees because of the Permethrine, or because I am constantly checking for them. They're about the size of the ball of a ball point pen. If I didn't wear light tan pants, I never would have seen them in the first place.

Last edited:
Possibly try a heavier dose on the boots and lower pants. Another thought, try to get some in ziplock bag and ask a biologist in the area if it's ticks/mites? If it's something different, maybe a different spray would be more effective?

Possibly try a heavier dose on the boots and lower pants. Another thought, try to get some in ziplock bag and ask a biologist in the area if it's ticks/mites? If it's something different, maybe a different spray would be more effective?

After the first bout, I've been soaking my boots and pants in Permethrine. I think I'll follow your advice and arm myself with a ziplock bag for enemy extraction/identification. Thanks.

East Idaho is nasty tick country, definitely something I don't miss about that part of the world

If you can get them identified, let us know! Thanks and good luck! Maybe your camo is working a little too well?

Chiggers and sitting on old/rotten logs go hand in hand. My personal experience with chiggers back in Virginia though tell me that's probably not what these are. You end up with little crusty sores that itch for weeks afterwards. They usually congregate around the waist -- especially under your beltline -- or some other tight clothing area like the top of your socks or an armpit. They suck.

Chiggers and sitting on old/rotten logs go hand in hand. My personal experience with chiggers back in Virginia though tell me that's probably not what these are. You end up with little crusty sores that itch for weeks afterwards. They usually congregate around the waist -- especially under your beltline -- or some other tight clothing area like the top of your socks or an armpit. They suck.

Hate chiggers. Moved to West Coast to be free of 'em. So many encounters as a kid.

FWIW, I have had only minimal ticks in the Centeral ID area. I've had a few in SW MT. I use permethrin and check myself regularly. when you have a tick latch onto your sack and it makes half your face fall off for 6 months, you become somewhat more diligent in keeping them off you...

Could very well be chiggers/clover mites (I believe these are the same). I haven't had any of symptoms associated with the bites for these, but maybe that just means the Permethrine is working. Hopefully, I'll get a positive ID this fall.

Have you had any stuck to you or bites from them? If not, the permethrin is working and I would keep doing what you are doing. But it does sound like you have an affinity for getting into a place where larval ticks have hatched. They would be noticeably red if they were chiggers or another species of velvet mite. I catch ticks crawling on me, but have never noticed chiggers on me, despite having had 100+ bites at a time. Another reason I think its ticks.

Have you had any stuck to you or bites from them? If not, the permethrin is working and I would keep doing what you are doing. But it does sound like you have an affinity for getting into a place where larval ticks have hatched. They would be noticeably red if they were chiggers or another species of velvet mite. I catch ticks crawling on me, but have never noticed chiggers on me, despite having had 100+ bites at a time. Another reason I think its ticks.

No; I haven't noticed any that have attached. Although, they're so darn small, I'd imagine that some may have and went unnoticed. Yeah, I'll keep up with the permethrin. Thanks for the info on chigger bites vs seeing chiggers. I agree, it seems like most of the anecdotal information being given here is definitely pointing towards larval ticks. After reading some of the latest studies suggesting that larval ticks may be carrying disease-carrying pathogens even before their first blood-meal, it almost makes me want to stop going into the back-country.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back