Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Georgia Alligator Tag 2018

youngblood4

Just received confirmation that I have been chosen for a Zone 002 gator tag in Georgia, this was my 5th year applying. Has anyone hunted Georgia gators before?

Dillon

Welcome to the forum if I haven't said so already. Congrats on the tag. I've never hunted them in Georgia but will be hunting them again this year in MS. Good luck on your hunt.

My only experience was 4 years ago in Louisiana. I used a bucket of soured oats and hog guts.....ugh! I tagged out in one hour, pulls them in! Just set your hook as usual and splash the tree with the "juice". John

I hunt them during the public water MS season so it you have to catch them on rod and reel and get a noose on them before dispatching them. No set hooks here except for private tags.

Thanks publichunter1 and good luck to you as well.

Georgia is a little different than Louisiana, we can not set lines and come back and check them. We have to either snag them with a fishing pole or shoot them with a bow/harpoon and then kill them with a pistol or bang stick.

I will post an update after the hunt. We are headed down the weekend of August the 17th and it will be done all DIY so it should be really interesting.

Dillon

I’ve hunted zone 9 twice. All 3 of us got a gator both times. We used home made harpoons with muzzy tips and 10’ of cable tied to a rope and bouy. Really fun hunt. I’ve got 10 points built up I believe after this year. Make friends with the game wardens in your zone they can be very helpful.

I've hunted them along the border here in Alabama. I've never even been on Lake Seminole but I hear it's full of them. I would love to pick your brain after the hunt because I should have enough PP to pull the same tag next year and that's the area I've been waiting for. I was gonna hold out for lake Eufaula but man that's a long wait and I love gator hunting too much to wait that long. You been on a gator hunt yet?

Just received confirmation that I have been chosen for a Zone 002 gator tag in Georgia, this was my 5th year applying. Has anyone hunted Georgia gators before?

Dillon

I live in zone 2, but I have never hunted gator. I have enough points but not enough time because of college.

Seminole is great and some guys on the GON forum really have some good info on it. Go check the forum out and search for gator.

I would say check out Chickasawhatchee WMA too. A lot of places you can walk or use a canoe to get to the gators. I have seen some 10+ ft gators on Chickasawhatchee. I believe that would actually be Zone 3 though, just double check.

Last edited:
How did the hunt go, Dillon? Looking into doing a DIY gator hunt, Georgia seems pretty reasonable price wise.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back