Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Quad vs Dual Sport Bike

LVelk

I’m thinking of getting rid of my quad (Polaris 850xp) for a dual sport motorcycle (tw200, xt250 or a DRZ400). The main reason is for space saving to and from the hunting area. Anyone have a strong opinion one way or the other?

I've spent a limited amount of time hunting from a dirt bike. My pard has two and when I hunt with him sometimes we take them (Honda XR400s). He also has a quad. Some places the quad works better, but I've never been someplace on a quad I couldn't have gotten to just as easy on the dirt bike. Packing out critters gets a bit more complicated, but he's a pro at it! Load up the pack frame and ride it out. I've seen him haul an elk out in 2 trips on his bike. He always has one of his bikes in the truck as an emergency way of getting to help should his truck break down or get stuck. But, during late season bird hunts he takes the quad as he can take his dogs with him on it. So, best of both worlds is to have both! :D I think a lot depends on the type of hunting and country you want to do.

I used to use a motorcycle and I had issues on really icy roads. On one morning while descending a very steep icy road I crashed twice in about an hours time. I will admit I am no world class rider but I have been on motorcycles for years. After changing to a quad I have never crashed one because of ice. I still own the motorcycle but won't use it in the snow if I can avoid it. Other than ice it worked great you just cannot carry the same load but you can carry a deer.

On dry ground the Motorcycle is a pretty good option. Probably better than the quad, but as soon as things get wet and slippery the quad is the only way to go. Well for motorized travel that is.

I couldn't imagine of a time when a dirt bike would be better than a 4-wheeler in the areas I hunt.

I have a Yamaha WR250R dual sport, a Yamaha Grizzly 450 4x4 quad and a Polaris RZR 570 50" trail UTV.

I haven't ever hunted using the bike, but have scouted with it and there is no doubt you can cover more ground faster on the bike in good weather. It can be a challenge for me on some of the more technical trails that are very rocky and steep. Some of the trails I am white knuckling on the bike are relatively easy on the quad or rzr. Going down is always harder than going up. There are a few motorcycle only trails, but it never seems like they are in a spot that I really want to go. They are generally pretty short out and back options as well, not many big loops or anything like that. If you got any snow on the ground you would be in trouble on the bike on some trails. I ride mine with a light pack, but I think you would need to be a pretty good rider to ride with a heavy pack. Even riding with a light pack took some getting used to.

I really enjoy using the RZR especially if hunting with a buddy. I have a rack setup on the back of mine that will let me haul enough gear for 2 people for a week on it with no problems. It gets good gas mileage and has an 8 gallon tank so I can easily go 150+ miles on a tank of gas, my ATV has a 3 gallon tank and is limited to 50 or 60 miles before I need to fill up. I had a full cab Ranger before the RZR, and while the cab was nice in the cold, it got hot in the summer and added a lot of weight. Also you can't take a Ranger on any of the 50" trails and it seems like there are a lot more 50" trails in several states lately. There are some 50" ATV trails you can get way back in and setup a base camp and get into some pretty good country. Having the RZR back at camp gives you a lot of peace of mind knowing you could haul something out if you got it down way back there although I have never shot an animal that I've actually hauled out with one!

The ATV mainly gets used for recreational riding now. We bring it along usually and let other people ride it. It can get used if you need to do a drop off at one trail head and hike to another type excursion.

Actually I use all of them more for recreational riding than hunting.

I’m thinking of getting rid of my quad (Polaris 850xp) for a dual sport motorcycle (tw200, xt250 or a DRZ400). The main reason is for space saving to and from the hunting area. Anyone have a strong opinion one way or the other?

Having ridden all the bikes on your list, I would pick the TW 200. It has a lower center of gravity, wider tires that will help with flotation and control in mud, and has a shorter wheelbase. I does not have as much suspension as the other two but for hunting you probably won't be moving over obstacles at a high rate of speed.

My 2 cents.

My experience, motor vehicles 50" wide(?) and smaller are the parameters for forest service trails that permit motor vehicles. Speaking of trails, not FS roads. The balancing of game on a bike vs an atv = atv. The space to store/carry equipment would be another atv win.

ATV in a heartbeat - I would not get a dual sport... though I've had a Yamaha xt 350, klr 650... though I'm not good on two wheels... actually not good on atv's either, considering. Haha! I would keep the atv though over a d/s.

I had a 2005 DRZ400 and once the suspension was adjusted it was fun to ride in the Little Belts "Mt". There are a lot of MC trails where ATV's are not allowed. Some guys use the old Yamaha big wheel. They can be chained on both front and rear tires, they are ATV type tires. I have a 2004 Yamaha 660 Grizzly and it works great "where legal" no matter the weather conditions. It's easy to chain up and you can carry a lot of gear, has a 2500 lbs winch that has worked on 2 Elk. I'd rather park my truck and use the ATV so I don't beat the truck up. Sold the DRZ400 sometimes I regret doing that. But for bad weather or trail conditions I would go with the ATV, never owned a sxs.

Dan

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back