Goat hunt....what do you know?

GO LIVE YOUR DREAM...... The wife will be there when you return. Goats are the most amazing animal to hunt and even just watch it's a hunt I'd do over and over and over until I ran outta health. Good luck

I love it guys! No one has any negative comments, just things to look out for. I want to earn it, so I like the challenges that come with it, I just have to know my limits. Sounds like a no brainier really. Lopehunter's last comment really hits home. When I get it figured out, I'll be sure to follow up. trying to plan for 2019.

Other funny story, I figured my wife would be crazy mad, but I talked a bit more about it and she is all about it. I'm not going to argue.

If you are interested in doing a Goat hunt in BC. Check out Elk Valley Bighorn Outfitters. They are huge supporters of BHA, the outfitter is one of the founding members of the BC chapter.

I have not been on an outfitted hunt to compare them to, but my wife and I won a fishing/pack trip with them at the BHA Rendezvous this spring, and got back a couple of weeks ago. It was an amazing place, and we saw a pile of goats.

Meat was meh, but you definitely want to go late season for a better coat. Like sheep, it is a brutal hunt but so worth it.

I had a goat tag in Montana just south of Glacier National Park several years ago. I bought a T/C Contender with a 10” 30-30 barrel as a Plan B for my bow. I gave up on the bow early in the hunt. Things got real Western at the end with the Contender but I got a nice billy and it was one of my most memorable hunts. I would recommend that anyone with the resources and physical ability try a goat hunt.

I thought the roasts were good but we did cook them a long, long time.

Goats are super fun. They are visible and usually stay above the timber. They taste ok, but with what the hunt costs I wouldn't worry about a few pounds of meat.

"Be one with them"

Haha, good stuff!
Lots of good advice here from guys with a lot more experience than me. One thing I'll toss out there to keep in mind for securing a hunt is to not overlook the auction tags that some states/expos have. I didn't dig super deep, and the prices are going to vary year to year, but in 2017 at the Utah Sportsman Raffle, there was a 10 day horseback goat hunt that went for $9500, and a High Uintas hunt that went for $15500. More than I can afford, but if patience isn't a virtue, and you're willing to dish 10K for an Alaska or BC hunt, I'd look at these lower 48 auction tags too. Getting there and any potential trophy home would be much cheaper and easier to facilitate. My 2 cents!

I will just add my opinion also on goat hunts.... I drew an idaho goat hunt a few years back. It was a hard hunt yet very rewarding. I shot a billy that was 7 years old. I enjoyed the meat. The roasts were excellent in the crock pot. The burger meat was great also. The only steaks i did were the back straps/loins. I cooked them on the traeger and they were good also. Start preparing how to judge goats. That was the hardest part for me. My good friend drew the same tag/same year. We shot our goats within 100 yards of each other. His was 8 years old. He said his meat was not very good and had to choke it all down.... He cooked it the same way i did. Good luck on planning it! I am excited for you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back