Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Broad Head recommendation

Hello, everyone! This year I was blessed with an archery deer tag and also an elk tag for archery. I shoot a low poundage setup. Can anyone recommend some Broad Head tips for better penetration and or blood trail? I was looking at a single bevel double blade fixed blade but I could not find a lot of reviews on it. Has any one used it? Thanks.

With a low poundage set up, you're going to want a good cut on contact head. I use Muzzy Phantoms with my recurve and have been happy with their penetration and blood trails. Slick Trick viper tricks are also a good cut on contact head.

Muzzy 3 blade or Montec G5, I've used both and good results with both. Prefer the muzzy, it might've just been shot placement but it seems the muzzy had better blood trails sooner on both elk and deer and a little more consistent groups.

Low poundage I would increase your F.O.C. and use a good cut on contact head. Several have already been mentioned. If money isn't an issue go with Valkyrie.

So many great options out there. If you want some good content search youtube for lusk archery adventures he reviews a lot of heads and I find his reviews to be pretty well thought out.

G5 Montecs are great. Ive also used Vantage Point Archery two and three blade heads and they are fantastic. Whatever you choose, make sure to start shooting them asap to get them tuned and dialed to your bow. Fixed blade broad heads are awesome but they do need a bit of work. You cannot just screw them on and go and be accurate. Put in the work with your setup and you will be great!

G5 montecs are GREAT fixed 3 blade but you may want a simpler double blade.

Another vote for the qad exodus!! Super tough and fly better than anything else I've tried. Pick something that flies good and is sharp and be confident with it there is no one right answer.

Whatever you end up with, make sure it is sharp. I think a lot of penetration issues are due to dull blades

Magnus heads are nice for the price. You get a lifetime warranty. I have shot the black hornet before and really liked them. They would probably be my go to head for elk.

If you want something with a better steal try the Iron Will heads. They are expensive though.

Another vote for Montec G5s. I liked fixed blade for shooting through ground blind windows. Make sure you sharpen them! They arent razors out of the box, but there are good youtube vids on sharpening them.
I started out shooting lower poundage to keep good precision in my shooting, a few things to help with speed are a good drop away rest, and a peep sight instead of a tube peep will give you a few more fps.
It might be splitting hairs, but hunting is a game of odds, and any small improvement to increase the odds could make the difference.
Also now is a good time of year to turn up the bow a quarter turn every time you shoot. I started doing it a while back, and it has made a difference with getting to heavier draw weights.

Back