Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Feet Care-Boots, Socks etc.

Adrock

Hiked about 10 miles this past weekend and it was hot. This caused some hot spots to develop as my feet were sweating. I managed to tape the hot spots and that seemed to help however that got me to thinking-

Can you put antiperspirant on your feet to stop the sweating and would it stop the hot spots?

I know I should change socks every so often but what type of sock is best?

How should your boot fit-Snug, Tight or a little loose?

-Adam

I find that for me wool socks work best regardless of the temp. I wear the same socks during our hot archery hunts in August and late season elk hunts in January. Boots that fit well should not produce hotspots. Boots that are not snug will allow your foot to move around inside and that will lead to you afore mentioned hotspots.
The way we day hunt we are usually gone from before sunrise till after dark. During the hot weather hunts it really helps to air your feet and boots out at about mid-day. I carry an extra pair of socks with me to put on after resting and airing my feet out. You will be surprised how good your feet will feel after putting on a fresh pair of socks and they weigh next to nothing.

100% agree with Gr8bawana, although I would add there is the reason the term tenderfoot was coined. If you don't hike much there is not a boot/sock setup in the world that will keep you from getting blisters and if you hike for a living you can probably wear sopping wet, loose rubber boots 14 miles and be totally fine.

I'm not saying you are a tenderfoot, you might crush the trail... my feet always get destroyed during spring bear season but by elk season I'm blister proof, same socks same boots. In general boot should have a snug fit, your instep lacing should be tight enough to keep your heel in place, you should wear synthetic or wool socks that wick away moisture, and if your feet sweat a lot then change your socks during the day. In addition break in your boots and your feet.

Sock liners. My feet sweat worse than anyone. Causes blisters and hot spots. Several years ago my hunting buddy who is a mountain climber got me to try them. I will never do any hunting/hiking without them. regardless of temps. The biggest problems with blisters and hot spots is the moisture on your feet. If you pull that away from your skin it goes away. Just like wearing a poly pro workout or hunting shirt. It also means since there is less moisture on your feet in the winter time your feet stay warmer. Not wearing liners is like wearing a cotton shirt hunting. You'll sweat your butt off then freeze from he moisture trapped in your shirt. I always wear wool socks over my poly pro liners. I get both of them froMm REI.

I find that for me wool socks work best regardless of the temp. I wear the same socks during our hot archery hunts in August and late season elk hunts in January. Boots that fit well should not produce hotspots. Boots that are not snug will allow your foot to move around inside and that will lead to you afore mentioned hotspots.
The way we day hunt we are usually gone from before sunrise till after dark. During the hot weather hunts it really helps to air your feet and boots out at about mid-day. I carry an extra pair of socks with me to put on after resting and airing my feet out. You will be surprised how good your feet will feel after putting on a fresh pair of socks and they weigh next to nothing.

I agree with Gr8bawana... I wear nothing but merino wool socks whether the temps are warm Aug/Sept or chilly November. Mid-day foot airouts are the usual for me on early archery hunts. And, yes, I also carry an extra pair of socks with me. Making sure that any current boots fit nicely or new ones that are well broken-in is crucial...

I wear smartwool socks no matter the temps as well. One thing I would add to belshawelk's post is that some dress socks make awesome sock liners. The gold tip socks is what I use and they work great at pulling the moisture away from your foot to the outer sock.

For me, its liner socks over merino wool blend. Smartwool makes the best liners I've found, i've tried a few different brands, they work, but stretch out in a day or two. With the smart wool liners they don't stretch nearly as bad, and will go 4-5 days before swap them out. I will also rinse them every other day or so, just make sure you don't stretch them when you dry them. My feet/boots tend to get pretty wet on a regular basis and I very, very rarely get blisters.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back