Yeti GOBOX Collection

How far do you normally shoot? (Rifle)

Dang, Buzz. You’ve had a lot of fun. I enjoy the challenge of other game animals, but nothing is more fun than antelope hunting.

So far out of the 2 trips we've been out there and the groups we've been with, these have been the yardages:

75yds, 75yds, 125yds, 150yds, 180yds, 200yds, 260yds

I have probably shot around 50 pronghorn, I honestly don't know as I have never kept track of the numbers of deer, elk and antelope I have shot. The only big game animal that I know the exact number I have killed is moose - one!

Most of the pronghorn I have shot have shot have been under 200 yards and many less than 100. Most have been with a 6mm Remington and a 100 gr. Hornady bullet, a few with a 7-08 and 139 gr Hornady bullets. I do my best to get as close as I can so my chances of making a one shot kill are increased.

Now, BuzzH has a good point, I also would prefer to pull the trigger when the animal is calm rather than ready to bolt at any second.

Practice out to 250-300 yards and then use your hunting skills to get within 150 yards. Most of all have FUN.

ClearCreek

To the OP...

You shouldn't be concerned with what distances any of us shoot at or have shot antelope at. What's important is you and your equipment and what you know you can accomplish with it.

John, I understand your point, but I'm trying to gather data to see what an average shot is for most folks so that I can ensure I have practiced at the right yardages. As I said, I'm capable out to 300 yards with full confidence of putting the bullet in the zone, but I wanted to get a feel for what most hunters consider an average distance so that I'm not surprised upon arrival if most shots were at 400.

As I read OP he was inquiring as to typical ranges to help him decide if he had to extend his abilities for longer ranges than he was accustomed to, or his scope was up for. Perfectly logical question, and not one that is answered by “shoot to your individual capabilities”.

Yes! You are exactly correct!

John, I understand your point, but I'm trying to gather data to see what an average shot is for most folks so that I can ensure I have practiced at the right yardages. As I said, I'm capable out to 300 yards with full confidence of putting the bullet in the zone, but I wanted to get a feel for what most hunters consider an average distance so that I'm not surprised upon arrival if most shots were at 400.

This fall is my first 'lope hunt, but after reading this forum for a year, I am guessing 90% of replies to this line of questioning result in a average of about 225 y with a max of about 350y and min about 125y. There are extremes reported but they are the minority. I am going this fall with a self imposed limit of 325y and I have no concerns I will be able to get a shot within that range in the vast majority of situations.

For me the limit is not on the gun, the ammo or even my shooting - at the range I can consistently hit a vitals-sized target at 400y+, but most of my shooting opportunities here are "tree-lined", relatively low wind. The wind in WY is causing me to dial back my max. In fact, I will probably initially set my max shot at 250y and only stretch it out to 325y if I have to.

This fall is my first 'lope hunt, but after reading this forum for a year, I am guessing 90% of replies to this line of questioning result in a average of about 225 y with a max of about 350y and min about 125y. There are extremes reported but they are the minority. I am going this fall with a self imposed limit of 325y and I have no concerns I will be able to get a shot within that range in the vast majority of situations.

For me the limit is not on the gun, the ammo or even my shooting - at the range I can consistently hit a vitals-sized target at 400y+, but most of my shooting opportunities here are "tree-lined", relatively low wind. The wind in WY is causing me to dial back my max. In fact, I will probably initially set my max shot at 250y and only stretch it out to 325y if I have to.

Very well said VikingGuy. I'm feeling good about a self imposed limit of 300 yards for myself as well. Thanks to all that threw in your experiences and good luck this Fall!

Very well said VikingGuy. I'm feeling good about a self imposed limit of 300 yards for myself as well. Thanks to all that threw in your experiences and good luck this Fall!

If my big fat ninja ass has gotten in to within 15 yards for a bow shot, you'll have no problem getting within 300 for a rifle shot :cool: It's all in the crocs, dude...

depends on skill level, amount of practice experience, conditions & equipment. For me upto 1200 yds. Montour county custom 7mm dakota, 180grn berger vld

Back