Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

How far do you normally shoot? (Rifle)

T Chris

I'm planning my first pronghorn hunt in Wyoming and I am curious about how much range I need. I will be shooting my Remington 700 in 30-06 with 150 gr Hornady SSTs. I'm sighted in dead on at 200 and can hold over about 8 inches to group well at 300 with my old school Leupold 3-9X that I've had since 1988. I would like to upgrade the scope to allow me to join the 21st century since optics have progressed, but it isn't in the budget. I know that having longer range capability would be better, but I'm curious what your average shot normally is.

I've only shot a handful of antelope, but they've been between 100 yards and 300 yards. I'm guessing my average to be a little over 200 yds. If you can shoot 200-300 yards, you'll be fine.

I've only killed one farther than 300yds. If you are only comfortable to that distance, that's fine. Except for one rifle, I hold my shots to 300yds and under. It's not impossible nor really that hard to get under that limit. I filled 3 pronghorn tags one year that didn't total 300yds. Just use the terrain/vegetation to your advantage and sneak within 300yds.

Limited experience here and I will only stipulate the shots I 'could have/did' take. 1st one was less than 50 yds (trotting). Next came in at 175. Then in order...235, 155, 30 and the final at 75.

I tried to make sure I could do 300, but it just hasn't happened. Maybe next time.

As stated above, use the terrain to get within 300 yards. Sounds like you know your rifle and your scope. I wouldn’t change that setup. Use extra money on quality binoculars.

I regularly shoot out to 1000 yds, but I've never shot at a live animal beyond 260 yes. Nor have I ever lost out on an animal because I couldn't get closer. I'm pretty mystified by the pull of modern hunting artillary, I really just don't get it.

Most of my antelope have been archery. The two I've shot with a rifle were 416 and 208. I've done muzzleloader at 17 and 94. I just prefer archery hunting for them, but practice regularly with my 25-06 out to 600 yards.

I regularly shoot out to 1000 yds, but I've never shot at a live animal beyond 260 yes. Nor have I ever lost out on an animal because I couldn't get closer. I'm pretty mystified by the pull of modern hunting artillary, I really just don't get it.

"Modern hunting". When did that start exactly? mtmuley

Rifles and scopes get fancier and more expensive, but for me the weak link in the chain is always the blob of organs, nerves and flesh holding the rifle. (Me.) The only pronghorn I've shot out past 300 yards was when I had to finish one off that had been gut-shot by another hunter. I've always found a way to get within 200-250. I think the set-up you've described should perform well. Know your own abilities and hunt with confidence, I say.

"Modern hunting". When did that start exactly? mtmuley

January first 1899. Of course. :) Actually for me, about 1884, in France I believe.

I might define modern in a lot of ways for me. But clearly what's on the shelf today is, by definition, modern.

To the OP...

You shouldn't be concerned with what distances any of us shoot at or have shot antelope at. What's important is you and your equipment and what you know you can accomplish with it.

If you're only competent/comfortable out to 300 yards, that won't be prohibitive at all. I've only shot one antelope beyond 200 yards. My average is about 150.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back