Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Fishing in Bismarck ND and then the SD black hills??

mplane72

As the title says.... We'll be heading to Bismarck later this week for a baseball tourney. We are staying in a RV park on the Missouri River while in Bismarck. Any reason to bother bringing some fishing gear? Maybe some cats in the river?

After that we are heading down into the S.D. Black Hills for a few days. The plan is to see all the regular sights. Staying near Spearfish for a couple days before heading down to Mt. Rushmore and all that. Anything to fish for there?

Any help greatly appreciated. Just want to know if it's worth packing the gear. Not sure what kind of time we'll have to fish but if it's worth packing the gear I'd rather have it. Just in case.

I used to catch good amounts of walleye in the river below Lake Sakakawea but that is probably an hour north of Bismarck. I have no idea if they are throughout the river or just in the tailwaters.

Lots of fishing opportunities in and around Bismarck. You won’t have a problem catching fiish within an hour of Bismarck on both the Missouri and surrounding lakes. Walleye, northern pike, smallmouth bass, catfish, and several more species are readily available in this area. If you have room in the car and enjoy fishing, bring your fishing gear.

I have had a lot of fun fishing Cottonwood Reservoir with my daughter. It's just outside Hot Springs SD which has a few things worth seeing like the mammoth site, pioneer museum, and if you want to wear the kids out try Evans Plunge.

You'll honestly find about as good of walleye fishing as there is this time of year on the Missouri. It's a bit easier to fish from the boat, but if you head down to the Kimball Bottoms recreation area i think you'd be able to find some from shore. That's just south of town.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back