Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Which call for a beginner?

Addicting

Doing an archery cow hunt this year. What cow call should I buy? I’ve tried a couple mouth diaphragms and they just sound like a off pitch turkey calls. Not keen on keep buying them to try just to find them not fitting my mouth, it gets expensive.

Maybe this is a good topic to revisit for the new podcast. Thanks

Rocky Mountain calls , buy them all and use the one that fits/sounds best

Going back to your experience with the mouth reeds, what have you tried that didn't fit? If they have the plastic dome, try something like the Phelps AMP calls that don't have the dome. If you tried just a straight reed, try something with the plastic dome. There's no easy fix to finding what works for you. Only way is hunt and peck for what feels good.

I have a very high pallet, so calls with the plastic dome have helped me out. I like the All-Star from Rocky Mtn Hunting Calls, even though the green tape tastes HORRIBLE. I purchased a Contender call from Elk101 (Corey Jacobsen's site, and his dad is the owner of Rocky Mtn Hunting Calls) and I've been futzing with that while to and from work.

Long story short, it takes a lot of trial and error to find something that fits well, then its all about practice practice practice... Don't give up on it. You'll find something that fits and you'll get there.

HS Lonesome Cow, Primos Cowgirl, Sceery Ace-1 and some other smaller companies make good sounding bite and blow calls. Get at least 2 different ones for varying sounds and tones, and for when one "freezes" up.

Pssh! Hoochie mama not only rocks, she sounds damn sexy! Simple and effective. Don't dis the Hooch-ie!

Try a primos hyper lip single. Easy to use external reed call. Keep practicing with the mouth calls though they are so much more versatile.

I too had trouble finding a good fit. The Rocky Mountain Mistress turned out to fit the best, so I bought several. For an external, the Cowgirl is pretty good but also pretty common. The diaphragm call is my preferred method.

I've been wanting this info too. Thanks for sharing.

I dont like the hoochie mamma because (in my experience) there isnt a way to do a soft call. I have used rocky mountain calls with good success although I dont remember exactly which one fit best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back