Elk Decoy: The Real Deal or Sucker Scam?

T Chris

What's your opinion on decoys? Are they worth it to pack in on a backcountry hunt? Do they work? Would you be fine without it? I swear by them for turkeys and dove hunting, but have never tried them for big game. I'm headed out for elk and antelope this fall and considering a purchase.

I found them a distraction. Would be futzing with a decoy instead of just stalking in and killing. It may work better for people in different terrain with a different hunting style.

Elk decoys by Montana decoy work and like stated above weigh next to nothing. I think the bow mounted decoy heads look interesting, anyone used one yet?

I have been using a Montana Decoy for 10 years or more. If I'm sitting I use it, if I'm moving I don't want to fool with it. I took a nice Colorado bull in a wallow set up with one in 2008 so I will carry it just in case - forever.

I have a Montana/Fred Eichler model Cow Elk decoy. At present, I've never had the opportunity to have a Bull see it.
I do think if you called a Bull in, and he saw it, it would probably fool a rut crazed Bull. Given it's lightweight, and almost life sized, I've found even a gentle breeze can move it a bit, but even that can add to the realism. Looking at it about 15 yds. away, it looks pretty real and 3D.
The biggest hassle with it of course is the setting it up and taking it back down, which can be a distraction. But, if you tag out using it, you'll most likely be a believer!

I've killed with and without them. What really sold me though is that after I arrowed my bull, we called and he circled back to the decoy and fell dead on his way to it.

If you can set up in front of elk that are moving and call, it's worth doing.

I like them for solo hunting too. Seems like elk can pin point where the calls are coming from and often come and hang up a little out of range. If you have a decoy, set back from you and obscured a bit by brush/cover, it gives them a target to keep moving towards and open up a better chance at broadside shot.
For how little they weigh, I would give it a shot. They aren't perfect for every setup, but they can be an advantage for some setups.

I like them for solo hunting too. Seems like elk can pin point where the calls are coming from and often come and hang up a little out of range. If you have a decoy, set back from you and obscured a bit by brush/cover, it gives them a target to keep moving towards and open up a better chance at broadside shot.
For how little they weigh, I would give it a shot. They aren't perfect for every setup, but they can be an advantage for some setups.

I carry one archery hunting. Once I had a group of elk holding in the dark timber. I called in a satellite but he passed behind me in the morning and I didn't get a shot. My Montana decoy was half buried in the brush off the trail and I don't believe he even saw it. That afternoon I moved it onto the trail and called him in again. He kept wanting to leave but but each time I called he couldn't stop turning to look at that decoy. Finally stopped broadside at 40 yards and I killed him. (I don't always carry the legs and just lay it on the scrub or whatever is available, they really want to believe). I've killed two bulls using them. As to Antelope decoys during the rut they often charge them...

I thought they were a pita until a Bull charged me one time as I was having a trouble getting the decoy folded up and it kept springing open. Damdest thing I've ever seen. I am now a believer in Al Morris' thoughts, "flash" the decoy, don't leave it standing static.

I am no expert, but if you are cow calling and a bull comes in he is looking for an elk or whatever is making the call. Good concept in distracting the elk from the caller, just a thought.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back