Havalon Knives

My havalon came with one installed and two spare(?) blades. I purchased a spare pack of ten and they fit in a pouch within the sheath for the knife itself. The sheath holds way more than enough for several field dressings. They are negligible for weight so for me, better to have more than just enough or not enough...

I've yet to need more than two blades for an elk from start to having it skinned, quartered and in the bags. You might need to keep an extra until you get used to not breaking blades. I think the knife and about 6 blades weighs 3 ounces.

Also, if you buy blades get them in bulk on Amazon, far cheaper.

I've yet to need more than two blades for an elk from start to having it skinned, quartered and in the bags. You might need to keep an extra until you get used to not breaking blades. I think the knife and about 6 blades weighs 3 ounces.

Thanks

I can usually do an entire elk with 2-4 blades and I am not a wizard with knife work. The extras are so light that I usually keep about 5 extra in my kill kit. When I remove the used blade, I slide it into the sleeve that I just took the new blade out of.

With some of the replacement blades (cannot remember the exact style), the sharp tip barely sticks up out of the handle. I have found that 1-2 wraps of painters tape will keep it pinned down so it doesn't poke anything.

Bigjay73 just remember that as you are using it, think scalpel blade and not full tang Bowie knife. Most of your work is done with a light slicing movement. You can even hold the handle as if you were holding a pen (they teach surgeons calling it the pen grip). If blades are breaking, it's not because the blade is defective, the user misused the cutting tool.

I got a havalon for Christmas last year and used it on my late season cow hunt. I only used one knife blade. It is still scary sharp. As long as your first cut gets through the hide. If you use that incision to extend down the animal as well as being careful around bones the knife will do fine. I always take a few extra blades just in case.

The blades are surgical scalpels and can be found way cheaper online rather then going through havalon. You can search #60A ,60XT, 22XT, 70a, GH, or SW blades. They are easily found by doing a google search. The back of the havalon package has those listed.

I got a havalon for Christmas last year and used it on my late season cow hunt. I only used one knife blade. It is still scary sharp. As long as your first cut gets through the hide. If you use that incision to extend down the animal as well as being careful around bones the knife will do fine. I always take a few extra blades just in case.

The blades are surgical scalpels and can be found way cheaper online rather then going through havalon. You can search #60A ,60XT, 22XT, 70a, GH, or SW blades. They are easily found by doing a google search. The back of the havalon package has those listed.

This site needs a like button. Thanks Gynaroo

Your welcome. I carried a back up knife as a just in case. It was extra weight that will stay home on my next hunt. The blades are super light so I pack a few extra in the case. I’m a surgeon and love this knife. I can’t believe I waited so long to get a knife like it.

This^^^^ Just be careful and learn to change the blades before you go. I love mine. I have a their small blade and larger blade. You will snap a blade from time to time!

I used a Havalon on my elk last year and I think it took two blades to finish the job. Skinned and quartered, back straps, tenderloins, etc....

I too converted to a Havalon a few years ago. Great tool !! I can completely process and debone two deer in the woods with one blade. I have snapped a blade - my own fault. Changing a broken blade in the field is a bit scary. I carry a mini Leatherman type tool in my pack now.

You can buy a cheap scalpel blade remover that is plastic that weighs nothing off of Amazon. It also stores the old blades until you can dispose of them properly. Helps so you are not using your hands right next to that scary sharp blade.

If you haven't purchased already, save your $ and potentially your fingers and get a gerber. Much easier/safer to switch out the blades in my opinion.

Very solid info given previously. I will only add that extra blades are needed more for replacing broken blades, not dull ones. I break far fewer now than when I first started with the Havalon. There are a variety of blades to choose from. Shorter blades like 22 are less likely to snap but longer ones like 60xt are nice for skinning. Not to mention other replaceable blade options like Gerber and outdoor edge skinning blades.
To answer your question I used 2 blades on the last elk I skinned and generally carry 4 or 5 extra blades.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back