Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Havalon Knives

I've broken two blades out of ~20 animals, but I still like to carry 6 or 7 spare blades since they weigh basically nothing. Something I like to do is use a blade for most of the bigger skinning cuts, then switch on a fresh blade for boning. Then, repeat for the next animal. That way, instead of starting each animal with a fresh blade and losing some of that initial sharpness on the tougher initial skinning cuts, I have a fresh blade for all the meat cuts. The slightly used blade from the previous critter's meat cuts is still more than sharp enough for the initial skinning cuts on the next animal. Also, when you buy the blades in bulk, there really isn't any reason to try to push a blade until its dull. When I first started using Havalon's I would try to get two or three antelope or deer out of one blade, or a full elk. Now, if i think it is getting dull at all, I don't hesitate to swap @ $0.50/blade.

I love Havalon knives due to their light weight and that you always have a razor sharp blade. I gutted, skinned, and butchered my cow elk last year only using my Havalon with maybe 3-4 blades. (Ok, so I did use a chainsaw to cut down the carcass afterwards to dispose of, but that doesn't really count). Planning on buying one for my nephew that I am taking out on his first deer hunt this year, start the kid off on the right foot.

Skinning 1 blade, boning out 1 blade, skinning out the skull... 5? ;)

4-5 would be more than enough, they do seem to dull really quick when you start working on the skull though and it's pretty delicate work so I do go through several to make sure it's done properly.

I haven't used that system, but if price is a concern i would think the higher per-blade cost of having to buy Outdoor Edge's proprietary blades would quickly surpass the initial savings of the OE knife over a Havalon. There are quite a few knock-off of the Havalon out there now that are less expensive https://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1890...1-25&keywords=replaceable+blade+hunting+knife that still use standard scalpel blades.

You can buy a cheap scalpel blade remover that is plastic that weighs nothing off of Amazon. It also stores the old blades until you can dispose of them properly. Helps so you are not using your hands right next to that scary sharp blade.

Does the scalpel blade remover work for taking the blade off of a Havalon? If so, can you link to the one you use.

Not to hijack, but how do these 2.75" blades do compared to say a standard "Buck knife"?. I am really considering switching to Havalon or Tyto, but I guess I'm so used to using a larger knife with more backbone to it that I am a bit concerned about how much extra cutting or slicing I might have to do. Is this an issue at all or are these knives really worth the hype?

Not to hijack, but how do these 2.75" blades do compared to say a standard "Buck knife"?. I am really considering switching to Havalon or Tyto, but I guess I'm so used to using a larger knife with more backbone to it that I am a bit concerned about how much extra cutting or slicing I might have to do. Is this an issue at all or are these knives really worth the hype?

Depends on the steel of your knife obviously... but I would say they are 4 times sharper, lose their edge a bit faster, and are not very sturdy so you have to be careful about cranking on them at weird angles. I like to do a combo of both, I take the hide off with the havalon, cut meat/bone out with a folder and then skin the head with the Havalon. By doing this I don't need to sharpen my folder in the field as I do all the work that really dulls a blade with the havalon, but at the same time I don't break a lot of blades. The havalon weighs about the same my sharpener.

Back