Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Backcountry tripod?

Ben Long

I'm going to go help a friend scout the Cabinet Mountain Wilderness for a ram later this summer. I have a good spotting scope but my tripod is an old beater that weighs a ton. What is a good tripod that (1) is sturdy (2) is functional and (3) doesn't weigh a ton?

Not a lot of comparison on my part, but I sure like my outdoorsman tripod that I won in a contest.

Not sure I would have ended up with it if I was doing the shopping from scratch and having to pay real money for it, but I think it fits your 3 criteria pretty well.

I have used my Manfrotto 785B since '08. Extremely lightweight & versatle .Don't really like the Bogen pistolgrip head ,tightening issues at times,but it is very light. Got it for High Sierra deer hunting. I use it for camera,spotter,binos & shooting rest.

I’ll second Randy’s suggestion but I went with the next size up instead of the mini. I also added a schonfeld pan head and love it. Pretty solid setup for a reasonable price

Ben,

For a great resource on high quality tripods, give the guys at S & S Archery in Boise a call. They have really gone in depth with testing various models. They are big BHA supporters as well.

I don't do any filming and I have never found myself really wishing for a better tripod, so I go the cheapo route route and I carry this $13 tripod from Amazon.

Last edited:
I run a Sirui ET 1204. Like it. Weights like 2.5. It has a ball head with a separate pan feature. The pan kicks ass for gridding. It works with my 85mm scope and binos.

From left to right... Sirui T-025x ___ Sirui T-024x ____ Promaster T525P (now XC525C)

Tripod3_.jpgTripod2_.jpgTripod1_.jpg

The T-025x is using the included Sirui Ballhead with the Outdoorsman's Tripod adapter attached to the Sirui plate. I removed the center post as it is non-adjustable and I felt it made the tripod unstable. The tripod weighs 30oz.

The T-024x is modified as I removed the Sirui quick-detach plate and attached the Outdoorsman's Quick Release Adapter directly to the Sirui ballhead. I did this to remove potential failure points and to eliminate unused weight. Also, it makes it so I can use my bino's and scopes interchangeably between this tripod and the Promaster, depending on the situation. It weighs 32oz. Very highly recommended for lightweight, sturdy, compact yet extendable.

The Promaster T525P has the Outdoorsman Panhead. It weighs 45oz.

I bought the T-024x and Kowa 554 to use while backpacking as the entire setup weighs 3.8lbs. The Promaster and Kowa 883 weigh 7.4lbs which are great when the extra power and light-gathering ability are an absolutely necessity but are pretty heavy on long hunts.

Ben, what size spotter are you taking?

Also, if you guys need any help scouting, I'd be willing to tag along. I love the Cabinets and need to spend some more time looking for deer up there. ;)

I have a Slik Pro II and they are nice, but I'm selling mine because I wanted a pan handle and couldn't find a combo I liked for the Slik. Honestly, I have never had an issue with Vanguard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back