Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wyoming Sage Grouse mixed with Pronghorn?

Rackmastr

Hey all,

Wife has a BUNCH of points for Pronghorn in Wyoming. She'll be at 12 for next year, and I'll be at 4 for a combined 8 if we decide to hunt both on the same year.

Thinking that next year is the year for sure that we'll do a hunt, but on my radar as well is trying to find a decent day or two of sage grouse hunting down there.

I'd love to find a place where I can hunt sage grouse either on my way down or way home from antelope hunting (or during so long as I can combine it in an area that's a good use of points for pronghorn and in a higher end blue chip unit).

Question is....I've hunted a bunch of pheasants, sharptails, etc but don't have a pointer. I'll be bringing my lab, and just not sure if I should invest in a day of a guided sage grouse hunt to maximize success? I'd just love to experience and shoot one sage grouse in my lifetime, but not sure the learning curve or numbers of birds out there.

Anyways, looking for any input and advice!

Thanks!

Completely unnecessary to pay for a guided hunt. The season usually runs roughly 9/15-30 so you will probably have to shoot them on the front end of your hunt. Just call the biologist in areas you will be driving through and they can tell you where to begin looking. That time of year it can be warm, so temps may get hot for a dog midday. And no need for a pointer, labs can get it done as well.
D5A79939-07D5-4B0E-88B6-5D29EA7B9886.jpg

Very cool man!!

I've done quite a bit of upland hunting in my life, just wasn't sure on the difficulty in locating Sage grouse or exactly how plentiful they are in certain areas.

Decisions to be made about where we are hunting pronghorn, but the sage grouse bug has got me itching a bit!

Thanks for the reply! Great pic!

I did forget to add that many areas with grouse have cactus, if it’s not something your dog is well accustomed to you will want boots.

Everybody to his own, but after hunting pheasants, ruffed grouse, and quail with Labs or Pointers for many years the thought of shooting one of those big old slow moving sage grouse has never appealed to me and we see a decent number every year. The season is definitely short and you'll want to take the advice given so you'll be in an area that has a huntable number of them when the season is open.

It’s fun. They’re cool looking birds and plenty enjoyable to shoot at. If you’re interested in bird hunting and coming to hunt antelope anyway, you won’t regret the time spent hunting them.

Everybody to his own, but after hunting pheasants, ruffed grouse, and quail with Labs or Pointers for many years the thought of shooting one of those big old slow moving sage grouse has never appealed to me and we see a decent number every year. The season is definitely short and you'll want to take the advice given so you'll be in an area that has a huntable number of them when the season is open.

Interesting observation for sure. I would love to have one mounted with a few of the other grouse (a Sharptail/Pheasant as well).

Just something unique for me more than anything, and I'm sure will enjoy some other wingshooting on the trip as well.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back