Bringing the head home?

pasteve

If I am fortunate enough to get a bull this year can I legally drive the head and cape back home to pa?

Probably not. I'm facing the same problem here in Iowa, but it depends on where you are hunting.

You can cut the skull cap off, clean that, and be good to go.

Yeah I agree with Brent almost every state I think now has cwd restrictions. If the skull is boiled I think most states are good with all meat and tissue removed.

Cape the hide off the skull. Then in most states all the meat must be removed from the skull, ALL of it. Even then you need to check the regulations of every state you will be driving thru or risk loosing it all plus a fine

Incorrect! As long as all the meat and brain tissue is completely removed a euromount is still perfectly legal.View attachment 84682

Topgun,
That's what I used to believe and I thought was adequate, but I can't quite square that with what I just posted. Things may have changed.

From my perspective, it would also be essentially impossible to fully comply with in the field anyway.

Processing and Transporting Your Harvested Deer or Elk
CWD can be transmitted from carcasses of animals that have died of CWD. To minimize this possibility the Department requires that deer and elk hunters transport only the following items from areas where CWD is known to exist:

• cut and wrapped meat
• boned meat
• animal quarters or other pieces with no portion of the spinal column or head attached
• hides without the heads
• cleaned (no meat or other tissue attached) skull plates with antlers attached
• antlers with no meat or other tissue attached

The head, spine and other nervous tissue shall be left at the site of the kill or bagged and disposed of in an approved landfill.

Here's what I'd do, research the area for a well know taxidermist and make contact with them about caping & salting your cape. Also beatle cleaning your skull. If your taxidermist back home will mount your animal with a cut skull, then cut it yourself remove the brain matter and salt it and your cape!

I don't see anything regarding antelope, assuming no restrictions for them?

If I am fortunate enough to get a bull this year can I legally drive the head and cape back home to pa?

In Pa you can bring the skull back as long as there is no brain tissue left in the head. The cape is not a problem. So you would need to cape the animal get the brain tissue removed prior to bringing it back to the state.

This is why I take my euro kit with me. It lives in the truck during the fall now.
1. Turkey fryer burner
2. Assorted scrapers and brain hook
3. Borax or dawn soap

I can bleach with I get home but this gets me legal and takes up about zero space in the back of the truck.

I have not done this but have heard it works. Find a car wash with a wand, go in and it acts just like a pressure washer. Although I sure its a dirty messy job. Wash the skull down with it.

I have not done this but have heard it works. Find a car wash with a wand, go in and it acts just like a pressure washer. Although I sure its a dirty messy job. Wash the skull down with it.

I have done this and it works, but please remember to rinse the car wash down real good before you leave.
Also take a wire coat hanger and cordless drill along. Cut a 8 -12 inch straight length of the coat hanger and hook the end of it just big enough to fit up into the brain cavity. Put it in your cordless drill and you have a brain blender. It liquefies the brains and it will just dribble out. Rinse it in a creek or other water source now your brain matter free.

I have done this and it works, but please remember to rinse the car wash down real good before you leave.
Also take a wire coat hanger and cordless drill along. Cut a 8 -12 inch straight length of the coat hanger and hook the end of it just big enough to fit up into the brain cavity. Put it in your cordless drill and you have a brain blender. It liquefies the brains and it will just dribble out. Rinse it in a creek or other water source now your brain matter free.

We don't have this problem yet here in Florida but if by chance you have an infected deer won't this spread the problem. Or are you boiling them first. If your washing them in a car wash aren't you just spreading the problem by putting brain matter in the runoff leading to the creeks.
Not passing judgment just trying to learn the best way. I've always boiled them when I get home with a turkey fryer but they also were coming from ky which also doesn't have cwd.

We don't have this problem yet here in Florida but if by chance you have an infected deer won't this spread the problem. Or are you boiling them first. If your washing them in a car wash aren't you just spreading the problem by putting brain matter in the runoff leading to the creeks.
Not passing judgment just trying to learn the best way. I've always boiled them when I get home with a turkey fryer but they also were coming from ky which also doesn't have cwd.
Doing this in the area you are hunting isn't an issue. There are different rules in different states. You must check the rules in each state you travel through on your way home.

On your way out stop by a DOW office. They will take a brain sample and test it for CWD. Make sure the skull is skinned. Last time I hunted CO (it has been several years) they had butcher's saws you could use to cut the skull plate off with. The cost used to be under $20 and you will hear back in a couple of weeks whether your animal is clean or not.

Back