Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado state trust lands

Bigjay73

Don't hold me to the figures, they may be outdated, but what I can find is there is around 3,000,000 acres of state trust land in the state of Colorado. Of that, only 480,000 acres are accessible to hunters, less than 20%. This is mind boggling to someone from Az where state trust land is open to anyone actively hunting. To add insult to injury, these lands, our lands, public lands can have their recreational rights leased out to a few, which keeps the majority on the outside looking in. Maybe this has been discussed already in the state legislature, and there's nothing that can be done about it. But if not, what can we do about it? What would it take to change the existing laws to mirror other states like Montana and Arizona where ranchers and other land users coexist well with hunters? If there's any chance to making a change, isn't worth it for us and future generations of those that wish to hunt Colorado?

Good read. Great to see that something is being done. Sad to see that it's 2 years old and nothing has changed, but I suppose nothing happens fast when the government and policy change is involved. I will look into the CO BHA. Thanks

The thing is, Colorado state trust land isn't public land. Colorado is one of the better examples of why federal land transfer is a nonstarter for me.

I'm aware of that. If its owned by a gov't entity, technically isn't it public? I don't think public lands should be allowed to be shut off to anyone.

I'm aware of that. If its owned by a gov't entity, technically isn't it public? I don't think public lands should be allowed to be shut off to anyone.

Public land, but not open for public access..... An example along along the lines of someone wanting to climb Mt Rushmore......public, but you are not allowed to go there.

And in Colorado it is technically public, but managed by the Land Board, who is mandated to make money off of the land.

I wouldn't think of it as public land because the public isn't allowed on it. Similar to military bases. Owned by a government agency but not public

And that's what needs to change. No reason why other states can make their state trust lands open to hunting, but not Colorado. Nothing worse than looking at maps of eastern Colorado, with all that state land that you cannot get access to. All states have to make their lands profitable, the rules are pretty much the same nationwide as far as state trust lands go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back