Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Ca Pronghorn!

Slim55

After MANY years of applying, I drew a Ca. Pronghorn tag! Couldn't believe my eyes, looking at the draw results online. Man it gets hot up in the northeast corner of Ca. I was up last week scouting and saw at least two nice bucks. Next week the temps are up in the high 90's. I hunted WY years ago, but don't remember the heat being that much of a factor after the kill. I'm not sure if it would be better to try and take one in the late afternoon knowing that it would cool down faster at night? Any thoughts on this matter of keeping the meat from spoiling? Appreciate the input. Other than the heat, I can't wait for the hunt to begin! Sighted in the .270 this morning. Thanks Slim

What unit Clearlake or Lassen? I have hunted pronghorn up that way twice. I just boned it out as fast as possible and got it in the cooler. Might be hard to find some shade depending on where you are at but you can get an antelope broke down pretty quick. After that its home free. Fun hunt, color me jealous.

Thanks for the tip HoneyB. I will be hunting the northern portion of Lassen zone. There are some trees nearby that I can get the meat to. Boning it out does seem like the trick... Thx!

Got him! I wasn't able to track down the biggest Pronghorn, but it was a great time nevertheless. I hunted solo on the first day, passing up a couple of smaller animals. My brother came down from Id on the second day to cheer me on. Together we put together a plan to move some Antelope in my direction, but I was unable to connect on a good buck. I had perched myself high on a bluff, and shot over the back of him. Later that morning I spotted a small herd moving across the plain. I used a small rise in the terrain to close to about 275yds. This time I calculated the range correctly and placed my .270 perfectly into his lungs. I had taken in 8lbs of dry ice three days earlier with me, and there was plenty left to start cooling down the meat in a large cooler. Later, we drove into town to get some block ice. A great time with my best hunting buddy!IMG_4781.jpgIMG_E4786.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_E4786.jpg
    IMG_E4786.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 388
Thanks Guys! I used a Federal 130 grain hi shok soft point. He went about 5yds. and spun down. Oh he is good eating!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back