ALT-Facts on Public Lands

... it's a good bill if understood as they (the five) match WSA's by original study were recommended to be dropped from Wilderness protection status ...
Although you are to be applauded for your objective analysis and open minded attitude in giving Sen Daines the benefit of the doubt regarding this bill, only time will tell what the ramifications will be.
My analysis of the proposal to eliminate five WSAs includes recognition of some local groups' advocacy for protections for at least parts of those areas and having visited parts of those areas. Moreover, historical perspective and my personal bias regarding Daines' pseudo public lands advocacy leads to a concern that this public lands protections elimination will establish the precedent going forward and will result in hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of more acres losing protections. The bills proposed by his former boss, buddy, and congressional collaborator, Rep Gianforte, seem to support my concern.

My concerns are also based on having closely monitored rhetoric and actions of both, discussing issues over coffee with Gianforte during his campaign, attending small events where Daines spoke and fielded questions, and residing and working most of my life in the relatively small Bozeman community claimed by both to be home. Albeit my regard for both as valid, Montana-loving representatives of my state is skewed quite negatively. IMO, both are focused on self and political party escalation ... not on preserving and protecting what makes Montana the last best place.

Good thing the Bridger Wilderness let's you kill trout. I might have overdosed on Mountain House otherwise.

View attachment 84705

Oh man, I hear the skin fryin'! That is mouth watering right there!
I've taken Mountain House chicken/rice and complimented a pan of trout on a past occasion(s). The Bridger (-Teton?) Wilderness is my most favorite of all the wilderness areas! Elk, deer are awesome though trout make for a great camp experience!

Side note: Cheers, Straight Arrow. It's what makes voting outside the partisan beltway a challenge. :)

I love these off-limits areas! I must be a bad example for wife and daughter too!
CD9E4AA8-4DF8-41B9-841C-030495D3436E.jpg3920A303-D3A7-4D2C-8AC3-E7A276CD3B90.jpg48ED39D7-6B86-44D7-B5EB-34FC593DE753.jpg0F416A60-5AF7-405A-BFE7-7623F9168075.jpg

Attachments

• B50AD1C9-B7CD-4CC2-9F62-153DE28673E8.jpg
    B50AD1C9-B7CD-4CC2-9F62-153DE28673E8.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 324
Still waiting for a NR to post up DIY picks from a Wyoming Wilderness Area hunt.

Here's one...

2005WyomingDeer4.jpg

Nice to have a Resident Guide, Buzz.

It was nice.

Not sure on the boundaries of where the BLM WSA boundary, but I believe I may have taken 2 big pronghorn antelope in a Wyoming wilderness study area (1997 and 1998) - as a nonresident.

Last edited:
Still waiting for a NR to post up DIY picks from a Wyoming Wilderness Area hunt.

I posted one on the bottom of page 3. I'll post up some more and another picture of that bull though. DIY is a little stretch because you have to have a resident guide, but I would say if I am the one quartering up and carrying out the majority of the weight on the bull that he shot then it still counts as DIY.

I was thinking about this and hadn't realized how many elk I've taken in Wilderness areas. It really seems like the elk must really like it there for some reason.

2008 - My first bull elk - Wyoming Wilderness
2008_elk1.jpg

2010 - Wyoming Wilderness
n_elk1.jpg

2010 - New Mexico Wilderness
2010_NM_Elk_1.jpg

2011 - Wyoming Wilderness (my resident guide shot this one)
mike_elk1.jpg

2013 - Wyoming Wilderness
2013_Wy_Elk5.jpg

2014 - Wyoming Wilderness (a different wilderness area than all the previous Wyoming elk)
2014_Wyoming_Elk.jpg

That's all my bull elk that I've shot except for 1 and it was in New Mexico on a state wildlife management area before they closed those off to non-resident hunters.

So 5 of my 6 bull elk that I've shot were in Federal Wilderness areas.

The crazy thing is that the mountain goat I shot was not in a wilderness area.

My rap sheet for Wilderness area hunting is pretty serious I guess. Just a few months ago a there were radio ads in North Idaho stating it was illegal to hunt in Wilderness areas. I shot my elk in Wilderness last year and helped pack 2 others out of Wilderness.
IMG_20130107_153442.jpg
Mountain Goat.jpg
IMG_20141014_065957.jpg
0914171848_HDR-02.jpg
whitetail.jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals