Caribou Gear

Sleep Systems- tent, bag, liners, pads?

Current setup

Alps Zephyr 2 Tent (love this tent, just too heavy at nearly 6lbs and only 3 season)
Alps Quest 20 down bag (no complaints other than its at or above 3lbs)
Thermarest Prolite Plus (love it)

Planned setup

Kuiu Summit 3p floorless (adds ability of a stove and my hunting partner and I can split the weight)
Enlightened Equipment Enigma Down Quilt
Thermarest Prolite Plus

I could run the Summit with a tigoat stove and carry less weight than a comparably sized Hilleberg. Spend less $$ too!

This was my setup this spring 6 nights on a bush fly in (AK) around low 40s to high 50s plenty of rain and wind:

1. Borah Silnylon tarp (8 oz): $50, I paid $40.
2. Borah Event Bivvy (13 oz): like $170, discontinued.
3. REI Igneo 19 degree bag (31 oz): $300, mine was an older better version I paid a lot less for.
4. Klymit Static V insulated 4 Season (25 oz): $85 Amazon, I paid <$50 for a second.
Grand total 4.8 pounds.

From the prior year, I added the tarp but quit using a bulky self inflatable air pad I thought would be more comfortable (not really).

This year, I might trade use more of a Mountain Hardware Meridian 1p tent I bought off here used. Weight 3.25 lbs replacing my 1.3 lb bivvy/tarp will bring my total to 6.75 lbs.

Bivvy/tarp is great but harder with bugs and you have to be more skilled/careful with rain/wind. But they are used in the most egregious conditions, so enough there. Tarp tent is a compromise with some of the benefits and disadvantages of both a tarp and a tent. Brother has one. Here's a good article from someone who likes the bivvy tarp setup for elk hunting. The best advice is in the title of the website, but I'll say gohunt but make sure to train, plan, prepare, A LOT first!

https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/to-bivy-or-not-to-bivy-that-is-the-ultimate-question#gs.LeMS_W8

Thermarest Prolite Plus (love it)
!

I have the Prolite Plus and the Neoair xterm... I like the prolite and break it out occasionally but it kinda sucks if you are a side sleeper, and packed up it's 3x the size of the Neoair... but no crinkly sound and it's footprint is way bigger...

I’m in the same boat when it comes to tent and bag, but I can definitely recommend the Klymit Static V. I sleep in all sorts of positions and I found the Static V to Ben comfortable no matter which way I laid.

I have the Prolite Plus and the Neoair xterm... I like the prolite and break it out occasionally but it kinda sucks if you are a side sleeper, and packed up it's 3x the size of the Neoair... but no crinkly sound and it's footprint is way bigger...

I actually quit rolling mine up. I just fold it in half and lay it on top of my food/tent/sleeping bag. It doesn't take up nearly as much space this way and everything in my pack is in a dry bag so there are no hard edges or points. I take my tent out of the bag and fold the body and fly in to a manageable rectangle and lay on top my food bag, then I compress it all down with the interior lashing in my Icon Pro 5200. This just goes in on top of that and there is still plenty of room.

I actually quit rolling mine up. I just fold it in half and lay it on top of my food/tent/sleeping bag. It doesn't take up nearly as much space this way and everything in my pack is in a dry bag so there are no hard edges or points. I take my tent out of the bag and fold the body and fly in to a manageable rectangle and lay on top my food bag, then I compress it all down with the interior lashing in my Icon Pro 5200. This just goes in on top of that and there is still plenty of room.

This is pretty brilliant, I would never have thought of that...

I like being able to put my sleeping bag, pad, down jacket, extra socks all in one dry bag in case I stumble in a river or something... which seems to happen more than you would think, but I like your style. I don't necessarily think my pad has to go in the dry bag...

This is pretty brilliant, I would never have thought of that...

I like being able to put my sleeping bag, pad, down jacket, extra socks all in one dry bag in case I stumble in a river or something... which seems to happen more than you would think, but I like your style. I don't necessarily think my pad has to go in the dry bag...

Added benefit is time saving of not having to roll it up just right to fit it in the damn bag haha. Same goes for the tent and fly, fold them in to a manageable size and let the lashing do the rest.

00877213-6C4C-41D7-BC14-B1BD1C3A0B44.jpg

This is what the pad lays on top of. Sleeping bag goes in bottom of the pack, clothes above the tent and food so the pad is pretty much flat on top of all of it.

I've thought about it for a long time and I think I am ruling out the Hilleberg for now. I've actually slept out of one many years ago and it worked out well, but the size that those things break down to has me thinking of a different approach. Has anoyone tried a Seek Cimmaron with a full nest inside? I think I like this setup for how small I forsee the setup to break down, and lightweight for sure.

I have the Cimarron with a stove for late season hunts. It is a game changer. No more waking up to frozen stiff boots!

I use the Cimarron with a stove (and Nest for dirt, bugs, etc...)

When its really warm I'll use Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3 I got on clearance from CampSaver.

As for pads, I use the Sea To Summit Comfort Plus. Its heavier than some, but the sleep quality is worth it to me. I also carry a Feathered Friends Geoduck pillow for the same reason.

For sleeping bag I use the Nemo Tango Duo if traveling with my wife, or an Enlightened Equipment Convert if alone (the Convert is 'convertible' between a traditional sleeping bag and a quilt).

Last edited:
I’m in the same boat when it comes to tent and bag, but I can definitely recommend the Klymit Static V. I sleep in all sorts of positions and I found the Static V to Ben comfortable no matter which way I laid.

I’ve been sleeping on a Static V this summer. Very comfortable pad. I wasn’t very impressed when I first bought it, but after several nights it’s hard to imagine a more comfortable setup.

Here is my sleep system, pillow, pad, bag, tent... I tossed in my puffy which lives in the dry bag as well. I can usually do weekend backpack hunt with my SG in bivy mode and the tent is a two man so my partner doesn’t need to also carry a shelter.

215D1A6A-C742-4CA8-BF58-29D61ABB6737.jpg
7D53DEB6-8408-4426-9A4C-A406E04AB5F5.jpg
C7524627-BD0A-4720-9009-45A012A40581.jpg

I have an Exo 3500. Would u guys put tent in main compartment? Or use the sides pockets? one side for the tent and fly? And other side tent poles and stakes? Or just fold up and put it in th bottom of the main compartment with my pad and quilt?

I don't have an Exo, from my experience I will always put my poles in the main compartment against the frame. I took a tumble a couple years ago and messed up my poles. Still got them to work, but it could have been worse.

Shout out to Black Diamond who sent me a brand new set free of charge.

60-85F weather:
hammock
40F quilt
6x9ft tyvek tarp for a clean "door mat" under the tarp

30-65F:
Seek Outside Lil Bug out
thermarest prolite plus
North Face 30F bag

0-30F:
Seek Outside
thermarest prolite & foam pad
0F EMS 800 down bag
(planning to buy the Seek Outside Stove)

Exo Mountain 5500

Depends on if you can fit it inside with the rest of your gear or not, generally speaking I try and put eventhing inside my bag. You will shred a tent if you are bushwhacking through alder or oak brush with it on the outside... aspens or pines not really an issue.

For sleeping bag I use the Nemo Tango Duo if traveling with my wife, or an Enlightened Equipment Convert if alone (the Convert is 'convertible' between a traditional sleeping bag and a quilt).

I am pretty broad through the shoulder so mummy bags naturally don't work well for me. But mummies are usually lighter than a rectangle bag. The idea of a quilt intrigues me. Nice and versatile. The Convert or something like it seems wide enough to not make me feel like I am getting strangled.

I am pretty broad through the shoulder so mummy bags naturally don't work well for me. But mummies are usually lighter than a rectangle bag. The idea of a quilt intrigues me. Nice and versatile. The Convert or something like it seems wide enough to not make me feel like I am getting strangled.
You can custom build them on their website to different body types, just a heads-up.

I might als
I might also try something like Big Agnes where the pad fits into the bag... might eliminate the strangle feeling... might exacerbate it, worth a try.

I might als

I might also try something like Big Agnes where the pad fits into the bag... might eliminate the strangle feeling... might exacerbate it, worth a try.
I’m officially Clydesdale sized, 6’3” 240ish. I have an older Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 that I love for size and comfort and hate when it gets cold. I’m looking hard at the BA Blackburn UL for a much warmer 800 fill 0 degree bag, my friend has one and loves it. That is unless I just decide to go all in on a Western Mountaineering Kodiak, that seems like the premier big dude option.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back