Caribou Gear

Nevada trail camera law

pointingdogsrule

I thought that this was interesting. I do not hunt Nevada, however from the statement issued this seems like a good law. Especially those selling animal locations. Any comments?

New Trail Camera Regulation Now in Effect
Nevada outdoor enthusiasts,
The Nevada Department of Wildlife wants to ensure that all outdoor enthusiasts are aware of the new seasonal restrictions on the use of trail cameras.
Since 2010, trail cameras have been a topic of discussion in Nevada. The regulation was discussed in dozens of open meetings, including County Advisory Boards to Manage Wildlife, the Nevada Board of Wildlife Commission, and the Legislative Commission. The use of trail cameras, the technology associated with them, and the issues surrounding the use of them have all continued to escalate.
Proponents of the regulation raised several significant issues of concern including the growing commercialization of animal location data. New internet businesses have begun buying and selling GPS location data of animals captured on trail cameras. Also, saturating all or most available water sources with trail cameras in a hunt unit not only disrupts the animals ability to obtain water as camera owners come and go from waters that have as many as 25 or more cameras, but also creates hunter congestion and hunter competition issues. The accessibility to our public lands combined with our wildlife’s dependence on our extremely limited water sources make for some real challenges for both wildlife and outdoor enthusiasts. Proponents of the regulation were quick to point out that whether enhanced, protected, or human created water sources (guzzlers), the waters’ primary purpose is to assist in herd health and herd growth, not for placement of a technological device at an animal concentration site that potentially makes it easier to kill trophy animals.
The new trail camera regulation states that a person shall not place, maintain, or use a trail camera or similar device on public land, or private land without permission from the land owner, from August 1 to December 31 of each year, or if the camera is capable of transmitting the images or video, it shall not be used from July 1 to December 31. The regulation does provide some limited exemptions for livestock monitoring, research, and other miscellaneous uses.
NDOW recognizes that there are wholesome and legitimate uses of trail cameras, and unfortunately the use of cameras have been exploited far beyond most sportsmen’s definition of reasonable. If you come across a trail camera on public land from August 1 to December 31, NDOW is asking that you leave the camera alone, and consider calling an NDOW office to report its location.

good luck to all
the dog

I just saw this. I like it when the state agencies have enough guts to step up do what is right for the wildlife despite popular/vocal opinion. The sale of GPS locations of specific animals on public lands is a real thing. There is an outfit applying for permits with the USFS and BLM across the west.

Hey everyone, so far there are positive comments but this regulation was met with quite a bit of opposition, not as much as the shed hunting regulation but enough. Enforcement, much like any other regulation is key and it is proving to be difficult. Our game wardens are few and far between. Some folks think that if they don't have enough wardens out patrolling for these violations that the regulation should be repealed. I hope Nevada can keep this regulation around!

Hey everyone, so far there are positive comments but this regulation was met with quite a bit of opposition, not as much as the shed hunting regulation but enough. Enforcement, much like any other regulation is key and it is proving to be difficult. Our game wardens are few and far between. Some folks think that if they don't have enough wardens out patrolling for these violations that the regulation should be repealed. I hope Nevada can keep this regulation around!

I think this regulation is great! One way to enforce it would be to make everyone using a trail camera to have their hunting licence number on the camera. Any camera found after Aug. 1st could be taken down and given to any game warden for citation action.
Any camera found after Aug. 1st without a licence number could be simply removed and turned over to any law enforcement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back