MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hillbillies go a'huntin' (WY Unit 70) - Part II

spinal tap

Greetings from TN,

I posted a thread in May that many of you were kind enough to reply with good information about my family's first trip to WY this year for antelope in Unit 70. That thread is linked here if you are interested.

I'm pleased to report that we drew tags and are excited for our mid-October trip to Wyoming. Special thanks to member wytex for suggesting we put in for more doe tags. My son didn't draw his buck tag, but now has a hunt opportunity with a successful doe draw. I'm glad I took that advice.

We've found a place to hunt and I've been studying onXmaps to make a plan. With only a few days to hunt, I'm trying to come up with a strategy. I have a few questions if anyone can help me orient to the species and location.

In regard to antelope in general, should we expect all-day hunts, weather notwithstanding? Or, are antelope more like whitetail and generally active only in the mornings and evenings?

There are a couple of irrigation circles and water holes in our area. I would think those are prime locations to target, correct? Should I expect antelope to bed nearby? I could use some general antelope behavior advice if anyone can share.

In regard to equipment, I am debating about bringing my spotting scope and tripod. Both are nice pieces of gear for use at the rifle range, but neither are lightweight by any stretch. The tripod alone weighs 7 lbs and only collapses to 30" with the head. Is this something I should forego or might I really miss it? The alternative is to depend on my Vortex Viper 10x42s and a SIG rangefinder. We are traveling by air to Denver before driving to Casper, so a minimum of gear would be best.

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can provide. If I can help anyone headed East for whitetail, I will be glad to share all I can. Be advised that I have a gift for repelling wild turkey gobblers in the spring, so please look elsewhere for your thunder chicken needs.

I'd probably leave the spotter at home, unless you guys are trophy hunters and want to go after only the highest scoring bucks in your unit. In that case the spotter would be very useful, but if you're not picky on what size buck you shoot, the binoculars are all you need.

I'd probably leave the spotter at home, unless you guys are trophy hunters and want to go after only the highest scoring bucks in your unit. In that case the spotter would be very useful, but if you're not picky on what size buck you shoot, the binoculars are all you need.

Thanks! No, we're not looking for B&C qualities - a decent buck and a great experience is all we're after.

I have always hunted antelope all day long. They are easiest to see at first lite when the sun starts to hit their white butt. I can't say I notice seeing any more or less through out the day.

Irrigated fields should hold antelope and nearby antelope will come and go through the day. If it is public ground I would imagine most guys will have the same thought as you. Don't overlook public ground near these irrigated fields. The big antelope will usually have the irrigated fields claimed, but the other bucks will still be close and keep coming back to those fields.

I don't have much advice on the stock tanks or waterholes. They have to have water and seem to always be closed to a water source.

I have always hunted antelope all day long. They are easiest to see at first lite when the sun starts to hit their white butt. I can't say I notice seeing any more or less through out the day.

Irrigated fields should hold antelope and nearby antelope will come and go through the day. If it is public ground I would imagine most guys will have the same thought as you. Don't overlook public ground near these irrigated fields. The big antelope will usually have the irrigated fields claimed, but the other bucks will still be close and keep coming back to those fields.

I don't have much advice on the stock tanks or waterholes. They have to have water and seem to always be closed to a water source.

Elite7 - Thanks very much for the info. Knowing we can hunt all day is comforting. Thanks again!

A few of the hay fields on the southern end are in walk-in. Later in the season some goats will wander back on and you may get lucky to find them out there.

If found that antelope move all day. One year, while taking a break to eat lunch, a buck and a doe ran right up to us and stopped 50 yards out. Moral of the story - keep your gun close and handy at all times.

If found that antelope move all day. One year, while taking a break to eat lunch, a buck and a doe ran right up to us and stopped 50 yards out. Moral of the story - keep your gun close and handy at all times.

I will do it, thanks! I really appreciate the input from everyone. This is a great forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back