Correct messaging to your Representatives

I have a question and mainly because I'm new stepping into the realm of actually contacting my representatives. How does one handle the issue of your representative introducing a bill that you disagree with. I feel as tho sending the generic don't support bill #xyz really isn't that effective if they are the ones who authored it... Do you go the route of saying I disagree your decision to bring bill #xyz forward? What have some of you done in that type of situation? Thanks for any feedback.

Be respectful. Lay down your street-cred - as in mention that you are a constituent and you are interested in this bill because of whatever. In referencing the potential negative outcomes of the bill, reference an outcome that would occur in their district and to their constituents. Give them a reason to not move forward with the bill that is not only associated with the negative outcome of the bill, but also with their own self-preservation as a politician. Don't expect much of a response in return.

Last edited:
I find it's more personal and self satisfying to write an email or letter directly from myself versus <insert organization> "letterhead" and in some occasions it is received in the same manner with a more personal response...
Personally identify as a constituent, professional, respectful, to the point, if available, I'll add something I valued of their actions...

I find it's more personal and self satisfying to write an email or letter directly from myself ...
I concur and further recommend including information that you have gathered and analyzed, information which may support or oppose the particular bill or position of your representative. As an example, information submitted to Montana congressmen Gianforte and Daines which opposes their bills to dismantle Wilderness Study Areas (WSA's) describes legislative Representative Kerry White's flawed partisan joint resolution passed by the Montana legislature resolving to dismantle WSA's. The resolution was passed at the state level with disregard to the hearings testimony and the overwhelming opposition by most prominent stakeholder groups and individuals. IMO, it's important for your Congressional delegation to be apprised of strong support or opposition to impending legislation, especially if you consider their position(s) to be unfairly or unreasonably skewed by flawed information. Your opinion is valuable, but will likely be of more influence if supported by some solid supporting factual information.

All mine have been short and to the point. I don't need to writer a dissertation(if I even could).
Who I am, where I live, why I'm in favor/apposed, and appreciation for them taking time to hear from me.

Many times I'll get a response back within a day. I must say my CO reps are much more responsive than my CA reps ever were.

You'd think the efficacy of including your rep's on record planks in your letter would invoke a non form response. It does not in the 13th District of Mother Texas. Bless our 22 year tenured U.S. Representative's heart.

I typically will have the introductory paragraph discuss how I have supported various items from the representative's previous voting record then have one paragraph that discusses the actual bill or issue and how I do/don't support it and then will follow up with a personal example of how the issue will affect me or my history with the issue.

Back