How far?

How far is too far? It's different for everyone. For me anything over 60 yards is too far because I only practice to that yardage. To that range I know I can hit my target in good weather conditions. If it's windy all bets are off and my limit would be much shorter.

depends on a multitude of factors. I am comfortable shooting at 60 under the right circumstances and have before, on the flip side I have passed 30 yard shots for various reasons. I see it as no different with rifle hunting I know guys that can shoot effectively out to 1000 yards all day but I also know guys I wouldn't trust at 50 yards with a rifle. All comes back to the person behind the tool.

I’m headed to the bow shop today to get some help. I might as well be firing Motars at 40 yards, because they are more accurate. Talking with a few others I think my drop away rest is hitting the fletching. So, I tried paper tuning it and every rip was in a different direction. Worked really hard on making sure I wasn’t torqueing the bow and still got multiple different direction tears. Now it’s time for a professional to step in.

While i don't like to shoot that far, i'm sighted in for 60 yards.
Hunting along a gas line most of my shots should be kept to 40 yards or less.

To the original poster..............,
All of my archery hunting experience has been treestand and or ground blinds in the East.
Never needed longer than my 3 pins would take me ( longest kill shot was 33 yards in 1996)
Everything else has been between 10 and 20 yards, most shots are right around 12 yards.
In regards to sight pins ....I just had a Black Gold Ascent Verdict 3 pin slider setup on my 1996 Mathews Z-Light.
This sight is very bright and appears to be very high quality.
After watching many YouTube videos on sighting in this sight, this should be a snap to set the pins and then match up the tapes against the pin spreads.

As someone else had commented just get a slider with a single pin.
I considered this before buying but as I pictured hunting the rut in NJ I remembered a couple hunts that made me change my mind.
I have had a couple hunts where I was dancing around in my tree stand trying to get a shot at bucks that were actively chasing does.
These times I would have never thought of sliding my single pin up or down for deer that were between the bottom of the tree and 33 yards.

Regarding the quality of the Black Gold sights......my local pro shop installs a lot of Spot Hogg sights.
He was very impressed with the B.G. Ascent Verdict
My hope is that I get a chance to stretch my yardage in practice which I hope will get me where I need to be for AZ archery in coming years.
My decision was eventually finalized after a resounding endorsement by Big Fin a few months ago.
Good luck and good hunting.
After tagging along on an Elk Rifle hunt in AZ last year, it was very apparent that I need to step up my game if I will bow hunt out west.

After 2 months of shooting and a few new parts I’m feeling pretty confident out to 50. I’m shooting 60 quite regular and that’s I think is going to just be for fun. Shot this group tonight at 42. Now that my broadheads are tuned I am getting almost the same POI of field points. The lighted knock is a Slick Trick 100g the rest are field tips. Thanks to everyone who helped along the way. C43F5566-7DAB-4F6C-A771-701E6712F640.jpg

Just to follow up on my reply to this from 8/11/2018.
I installed my Black Gold (3) pin Ascent Verdict (moveable sight) and have been shooting much more often.
Previous to this year I only had 20 and 30 yard pins.
Now I am set for 20/30/40 yards am grouping within 2" and tomorrow I will apply the appropriate yardage tape to the gang adjustment slide.
This tape is calibrated to 100 yards (although I want to just get to maybe 60 yards).
My plan is to shoot distances that allow me to be confident to 40-45 yards delivering my Muzzy Trocar to the animal.

Not to hijack the thread but has anyone seen or used a lens on their site to magnify the target??
I have seen them in various powers but they are not cheap and I am not sure if all western states will allow??
The 10 ring is getting hard to see at 40 yards

How far is too far...depends on a lot things. But I know it when I see it.

Truth. In great conditions with time, my distance is much greater than with a couple seconds to make a decision and shot. In rushed conditions, I'd prefer to be within 40. In ideal conditions, I would shoot to 60 and slightly beyond. Practice has a lot to do with it and I also think equipment does as well. I think adjustable sights are a huge factor in being comfortable at longer distances.

Just to follow up on my reply to this from 8/11/2018.
I installed my Black Gold (3) pin Ascent Verdict (moveable sight) and have been shooting much more often.
Previous to this year I only had 20 and 30 yard pins.
Now I am set for 20/30/40 yards am grouping within 2" and tomorrow I will apply the appropriate yardage tape to the gang adjustment slide.
This tape is calibrated to 100 yards (although I want to just get to maybe 60 yards).
My plan is to shoot distances that allow me to be confident to 40-45 yards delivering my Muzzy Trocar to the animal.

Not to hijack the thread but has anyone seen or used a lens on their site to magnify the target??
I have seen them in various powers but they are not cheap and I am not sure if all western states will allow??
The 10 ring is getting hard to see at 40 yards

I’ve wondered the same thing on the lenses. I’m not sure how folks say thier shooting anything past 40 without some type of magnifying lense. I have 20-15 vision and have a hard time with .19 pins over the bullseye.

I practice out to 60 yards on a regular basis, I'm confident out to 40 yards, my furthest treestand shot to date was a 45 yard shot on a whitetail.

Practice to 100, but wouldn’t shoot at an animal that far.
Furthest I’ve chose to shoot an animal was a bull at 56 and that’s about far enough for me. I have hit an antelope at 82, but it was just a follow up from my first shot that connected at 40.

Last edited:
40 yards is about the maximum distance that I’m comfortable shooting at an animal with a broadhead. I can get pretty good groups with field tips up to 60 yards.

60 yds is as far as My old eyes really like.
Practice 70yd but 50 is a comfortable number.
Its a contact lens issue as much as any My lens do not focus fast enough.

Max I would shoot depends on conditions. I feel comfortable that my arrow will do its job at 75 yards. That being said I always try to get as close as possible anyways. I regularly practice to 125 yards. My rule of thumb is whatever distance you can put 10/10 arrows in an 8" group is your absolute max. This gives you 16" (about the size of a elk kill zone) from point of aim to miss and still have a lethal hit. For some people it's 60 some it's 30.

Thanks for asking this, I came in wondering the same thing. I am planning my first trip for mule deer after hunting whitetails my whole life. I have always considered myself a hunter not an archer, I do not do 3D or anything with other guys and have never worried about group size as long as I know I can put an arrow in a deer. But I am really curious on shot distance for western hunting, one guy at work was saying he stowed an antelope at 80. All I could think was that if that was normal I better bring a rifle! I routinely practice to 60, at 40 groups are fist sized, at 50 10/10 are in vital zone on a deer target and 60 8/10 are. Sounds like with a 50 yard maximum I might not be completely wasting my time like I was afraid of.

My personal max effective range is 50 yards, I determine this by being able to consistently shoot with broadheads within a 6 inch group. I do practice with field tips out to 70. Its hard to practice the excitement and adrenalin when drawing on a bugling bull, keep that in mind during practice maybe shoot after a short sprint to simulate that excitement.

Back