PEAX Equipment

Which GPS

Muskeez

What current Garmin handheld GPS model has been adequate for you guys without blowing a hole in my budget? Don't want cheap-azz junk though either. Needs to be able to use my onX chips. GPS use only, not communication. I'm not too smooth with technology. Thanks for any advice!!

I have moved entirely to my iphone - it works pretty darn well. My aging eyes (and I am only 50) appreciate the bigger, brighter screen. It is also much more responsive. It does take a little fiddling + a cheap backup battery stick, but for me a big improvement. If you are committed to staying with GPS, check your PM Inbox.

iphone/backup chargers + renting or buying inreach mini + compass/map backup is what I've decided upon. I was going to buy a garmin but figured that what I already have, with a little enhancement, would serve my purposes.

My Samsung phone with the Backcountry Navigator app is a terrific GPS solution, with a better screen than any GPS I've seen.

I like the 64s. Had one with a touch screen for a while. Didn’t like it in the field. I prefer buttons so that I can keep gloves on.

I have a Garmin 530HCX for sale... Think it has the MT chip still in there as well... $90 to your door.

I'm a phone guy now too. At first I was worried about the durability compared to a GPS unit, but it hasn't been an issue so far. Plus the much larger and sharper screen makes it tough to go back to the standalone GPS.

I never have service, so I download my area before hand, keep my phone in airplane mode, and I get about two days of use between charges.

Phone with the onX app, and a good paper map as a backup. OnX has been a game changer for me, especially in Colorado where private land is rarely posted

I like the idea of onX with my phone, but what about emergency communication options? I can't find anything like that with a phone that has no service.

I like the idea of onX with my phone, but what about emergency communication options? I can't find anything like that with a phone that has no service.

Garmin Inreach Explorer+ It doesn't take OnX chip, but if you have Onx on your phone then it provides texting abilities and emergency GPS.

Back