Gofundme to Skew Grizzly Drawings

This first year is one big can of worms that will have to be looked at by the G&F after those women in Jackson got that shoot a bear with a camera and not a gun started.

Last edited:
Lots of wrongheaded thinking on this thread. Do you want grizzlies dead? Do you want WYFG to make money? I do not get the agitation other than some griz lovers playing the game. Stop crying.

It actually is a drop in the bucket considering that residents get at least 75% of the tags and their license fee is very low. Anyone that pays the fee that they actually call will get it back if they don't get to hunt, so I'm guessing the money made will be lucky to even cover expenses of administering the hunt itself and that's if the Court doesn't block it altogether later this month.

It actually is a drop in the bucket considering that residents get at least 75% of the tags and their license fee is very low. Anyone that pays the fee that they actually call will get it back if they don't get to hunt, so I'm guessing the money made will be lucky to even cover expenses of administering the hunt itself and that's if the Court doesn't block it altogether later this month.

They are losing money on the grizzly bear hunt. In fact, antelope, deer & elk make all the "real money" and carry all other species.

7000 x $15 non-refundable app fee is still over 100k they didn't have last year. Now I get that going to cost a fair bit of money to manage the hunt but I would still imagine they're coming out on top, especially considering how much they already have to invest in gizz management.

7000 x $15 non-refundable app fee is still over 100k they didn't have last year. Now I get that going to cost a fair bit of money to manage the hunt but I would still imagine they're coming out on top, especially considering how much they already have to invest in gizz management.

It's not even close to 100K, more like less than half that. The vast majority of applications were resident priority list at the $5 application fee.

It's not even close to 100K, more like less than half that. The vast majority of applications were resident priority list at the $5 application fee.

Pretty easy to figure out.

2,857 NR * $15 = $42,855
4,448 R * $5 = $22,240
Total App = $65,095

Plus 9 resident tags at $602 = $5,418
Plus 3 nonresident tags at $6,002 = $18,006

This assumes the first resident kills a sow in the DMA. Total if the hunt happens $88,519. (Add $602 for each additional resident tag when a sow doesn’t get shot and $6,002 for the 4th and 8th tag if it gets to them)
Total if the hunt doesn’t happen. $65,095

The hilarity of this situation for me falls in the fact that this is one of the most regulated and researched hunts in the lower 48, making any protests towards it just political instead of a science based approach to management. The amount of extra requirements to participate in the Wyoming Grizzly hunt (bear classes, large tag fees for both NR and resident hunters, limited 10 day season, etc.) plus the extremely conservative hunt quota makes these anti-hunting groups look even more ridiculous. Anyone who hunts or recreates in Northwestern Wyoming can tell you of the over population of both bears and wolves. If antis were to take ten minutes to research the requirements and amount of work that has gone into making this hunt as conservation based as possible they might be able to argue a point. However, most anti's will simply look at this as a violation of their public resource without ever having spent a dime that goes towards conservation of these wild animals. But hey, they buy their ice cream cones at Old Faithful every year and enjoy the bears from the road without ever having to deal with the possibility of getting mauled in the backcountry.

Pretty easy to figure out.

2,857 NR * $15 = $42,855
4,448 R * $5 = $22,240
Total App = $65,095

Plus 9 resident tags at $602 = $5,418
Plus 3 nonresident tags at $6,002 = $18,006

This assumes the first resident kills a sow in the DMA. Total if the hunt happens $88,519. (Add $602 for each additional resident tag when a sow doesn’t get shot and $6,002 for the 4th and 8th tag if it gets to them)
Total if the hunt doesn’t happen. $65,095

Thanks for providing real math... mine was weak sauce as was well pointed out.

Game and Fish runs their own draws.

I'm going to assume its still at a cost.
I doubt there is a profit to be made by G/F. I think it's more than likely that they did the math and are hoping to break even while successfully holding a hunt.
Even if there is a profit, so what? How much money has Wyo G/F spent on Grizzlies since they last made a profit on them? That's a pretty big hole.
Time for a few to reap the rewards for the North American model of wildlife conservation.

I wish it was a requirement for all nature photographers and bird watchers to buy a license/stamp/permit. I brought that up with my local vegan restaurant owning friends and they said it was a great idea, then never did it. Instead they donate money to plant trees in the Amazon.

Fargo has a vegan restaurant? How things have changed since I left ND.

Education is the best possible tool, right?! So many people out there have no idea that A: hunters are far and away the best source of conservation and B: the horrible conditions their grocery store meat actually comes from. Send them all on a field trip!! That should take care of the anti hunting problem!! I remember in culinary school we took a "field trip" and all the bleeding hearts had a very quick change of heart!!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back