Packable Stoves

fmnjr

I'm looking into the value of using a packable stove, anyone use them? Early, mid or late season? Type you use, if you do?

I'm looking into a Kni-Co Alaskan for my 2nd rifle Colorado hunt, its definitely undersized for the tent we're taking but it'll probably only be used at night for cooking and knocking the chill off unless we get a cold front come in while we're on the mountain. Packing weight is listed at 18 lbs and the stove pipe fits inside it storage and packing.

Last edited:
I've been thinking of building one of these rocket stove tent heaters. I think they are quite a bit smaller than standard stoves which would probably work well for my application as the packable stoves I have used in the past were simply too much heat and took up too much space for my tipi. I also like that it could be used outside the tent for heating water as well.

They have some interesting models for heating tents and backpacking.
https://www.shtfandgo.com/product-category/survival-gear/stoves-and-fire/

I should have said at the beginning that I'd be in remote area lugging all my gear so light weight is high priority.

I should have said at the beginning that I'd be in remote area lugging all my gear so light weight is high priority.

Have had great luck with our MSR Pocketrocket canister system -- light, reliable, simple. But we are flat-landers so I would double check elevation performance before committing.

I have a tiny little brunton. I turn it on to warm the tent in the morning for 1 minute. The tent gets warm. I use it to make my coffee as well.

If you want a decent, cheap, and reliable canister style stove then get a BRS 3000T. It only weighs 25 grams or 0.88 ounces. I used one last year on my weeklong October Mule Deer hunt and we were at 8800'. I paired that with a Toaks Light Titanium pot (for boiling water), Evernew 450FD Titanium Mug (for coffee and nests on the outside bottom of Toaks pot), a folding titanium spork, mini bic lighter, and a 110 gram fuel canister. My overall weight for my cook kit is only 14.2 ounces. Pretty good setup for a backpacking type hunt.

Last edited:
MSR whisperlite.
Had it for more years than I can count and it performs as good now as it did when purchased... And a big example of it's success rests in the fact it is STILL sold by main backpacking stores.
https://www.msrgear.com/whisperlite

msr_whisper.jpg

Besides, never hurts to have a bit of "Boyscout juice" to prep a fire... Beats the hell out of butane, etc. And it's elevation use is proven over time.
I'll pass on pocket rocket, jet boil units, etc... I like my fuel in liquid form. :)

Last edited:

Thanks, I'll look into your picks.

MSR pocket rocket hands down. I have a whisperlite for traveling as you can’t fly/ get canisters everywhere and it’s great... but the pocket rocket with a small army surplus cup is the lightest cooking setup you can get, it’s significantly smaller and lighter than the jet boil. I’ve used mine in below zero temps and up to 14k ft with no issues, also it’s also the simplest to use and unlike the whisperlite it doesn’t require you to clean or replace parts periodically. (That said would pick the whisperlite if I was doing anything but boiling water)

Last edited:
I have a pocket rocket, MSR Whisperlite, Dragonfly, and XGK. But if I could only have one it would be the XGK or Dragonfly. I travel a lot by plane and you can't fly with canisters and in some destinations you can't buy them. Just recently went to Maui and used the Whisperlite because you can't find canisters there. Other destinations I have been to like the Aleutian islands you can't find much of anything. With the multi fuel stoves you can always burn gasoline through them.

Attachments

• NZ 2011 031.jpg
    NZ 2011 031.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 101
I like my fuel in liquid form. :)

Until it leaks in your pack :)

I've used both. We use Whisperlites for mountain climbing, and I use Butane for hunting most of the time. Throw the cannister in your sleeping bag at night and most concerns are alleviated. I've used mine up to 10k feet with no issues.

I've been through a number of stove including the whisper lite and pocket rocket, and a few others. My go to is a Soto Micro with regulator with a notched Jetboil pot (to fit the legs) and isobutane. Works high/low and I've used it in temps around 20 deg. I like the liquid fuel stoves when its really cold, or base camping when I can bring more fuel. My pocket rocket eats up fuel more than the soto for output, but it may have been my pot set up i was using. Just seems like it burns through the fuel a lot faster than the Soto, by about 2x the speed even with equal setups.

I like the jet boil stove, as well, but less regulation than the Soto for simmering.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back