Yeti GOBOX Collection

Deer hunting on the CMR refuge

8andcounting

Didn't deer hunting on the CMR used to close on or around the second weekend of November? Last year I thought I read it was the 12th or so . I was reading the CMR 2018 hunting regs the other day and it said no closure this year , open as long as state season . Was anyone aware of this and why would they do that ? I thought it was good that they closed it early

Looks like your correct, that'll spread some folks out. Just another golden opportunity to eff that deal up.

Montana could could screw up a wet dream when it comes to managing mule deer!!

Hey its all about everyone having a chance. GMAFB...... no better yet give the mule deer a effn break.

The only benefit i see really is it'll spread folks out....

The discrepancy in season dates has been a point of contention between the Service and the State for years. Both agencies are under orders to expand hunting opportunities and simplify regulations, so this is the logical and foreseeable result.

logical would of been make the state season reflect the cmr season,,,,,

logical would of been make the state season reflect the cmr season,,,,,

Bingo . Only good thing , like stated above is maybe it'll be less crowded but who knows . I'm guessing the last few weekends of the season will be busy out there . I've never hunted on CMR, is it a place known for lots of deer and decent sized deer ?

Bingo . Only good thing , like stated above is maybe it'll be less crowded but who knows . I'm guessing the last few weekends of the season will be busy out there . I've never hunted on CMR, is it a place known for lots of deer and decent sized deer ?

Nope they're dead, all dead. With these seasons and proposed upcoming cwd hunts there won't be a decent deer to be had. I'm sure next year they'll up the tags and bring in a few more people too because it's the land of opportunity not quality.

It’s a big place so that varies. There are places with deer and places that look perfect for deer but almost have none.

Bigsky is correct. You can thank Zinke directly for this. He also opened up general elk hunting in 652, which I understand and agree with, but I’ve seen one elk in the unit in my life. Hardly something to hang a hat on.

This simply checks their boxes of creating access. Quality of experience and wildlife habitat come in second.

I will say the data doesn’t support the belief that it helps grow mature bucks, probably just too small of an area.

The bottom, bottom line is: The CMR becomes no different than any other piece of public ground? Other than maybe the deer get a break from semi restricted vehicle and ATV traffic, or am I just being oofta' naive?

Truth is I want to hunt there, take a deer, and have no one ask," What did you shoot that for".

What really sucks in my opinion is the extra pressure it will add for those with the limited entry either sex elk tags. Before, you could always count on less pressure later in the elk season.

What really sucks in my opinion is the extra pressure it will add for those with the limited entry either sex elk tags. Before, you could always count on less pressure later in the elk season.

Yeh this was actually my first thought - this is area I apply in and have not drawn yet but hope to soon . I've been hunting cows on general tag in the area ( not on CMR but next to it) and am also worried about extra pressure . I always hunt later in the season , now I might be hunting around more people looking to fill their deer tag .

This kinda stinks at least they didn't open it up to B tags. I'd rather seen them make the whole refuge same as prior North side regulations myself.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back